Another reason not to buy an iPhone

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Should point out that everyone I know that has an iPhone has shattered the screen at least once...here's a side by side with a comparable Android phone (and by comparable, I mean a phone that exceeds the iPhone in every fashion except price):

An OtterBox cover would probably prevent that. Mine has. ;)

An OtterBox cover would probably prevent that. Mine has. ;)
These people are probably very happy you do. :)

2011-08-20%252520at%25252009-24-20.jpg

I had no idea so I had to ask them what the heck an Otter Box was.

Oh, and I've never shattered the screen on my iPhone either.

Whizzing in the wind #385.

They just moved into new and larger headquarters. Another successful Fort Collins business!

These people are probably very happy you do. :)

2011-08-20%252520at%25252009-24-20.jpg

I had no idea so I had to ask them what the heck an Otter Box was.

Oh, and I've never shattered the screen on my iPhone either.

Between my wife and I, we've had four iPhones, none with broken screens.
My work phone is an iPhone 4, and I've dropped it more times that I can count, and beat the hell out of it.

Yup, Android's great. Or not...

http://theunderstatement.com/post/11982112928/android-orphans-visualizing-a-sad-history-of-support

I beat the total crap out of my iPhones. (three of them, a 3G, a 4 on AT&T, and a 4 on VZ).

Dropped one flat on a hardwood floor face-down and shattered it. Cheap fix at the local Apple repair guy's shop. A friend did his with $25 in glass from the Net, a spudger, and a hair dryer.

The others, dents, dings, bumps, scratches. All working fine.

Not saying they're perfect but anyone can drop any smartphone. Lots of Android stuff out there will explode after a six foot drop.

They're all just mini-pocket-computers that double as mediocre telephones -- after the mini-computer stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Note that Android has had voice control for years.
If you are talking about using voice to place a call, iPhone and Android have had that for years. Infact it used to be available on AMPS. I have an old analog mobile etup in my garage that has voice recognition in it. If you are talking about voice control ala Siri, where you can dictate messages and search features, I am not aware of that extensive a capability in Android yet.

Last edited:
Should point out that everyone I know that has an iPhone has shattered the screen at least once...
For the price of a beer you can know me. I've had two iPhones over the past 3 years and neither were ever damaged in any way, despite not using a case.

My old HTC Mogul needed to be replaced when a certain somebody "touched" the screen a little too hard.
-harry

The only time Ive broke a screen on an iPhone is when I dropped it on the interstate doing 75 mph and a truck ran it over.

I've had some coworkers that have busted an iPhone screen and many that have busted various android screens.

I just don't get these posts Nick....

I broke my droids screen but iphone is doing fine. They are equally as vulnerable to screen damage imo

I've got a Verizon Android and my friends' iPhones just kick it's butt with web surfing, Utube etc. Still like mine but it's really slow. So much so I use it very sparingly for web stuff and that's sorta what I got it for.

VERY cool that the Otter folks have an Citation X? I had the screen frame break on mine after dropping it a couple times, saved the screen, and they sent me new ones with absolutely no static. Fast and painless. Great company to do business with. Good on them!! :thumbsup:

If you are talking about using voice to place a call, iPhone and Android have had that for years. Infact it used to be available on AMPS. I have an old analog mobile etup in my garage that has voice recognition in it. If you are talking about voice control ala Siri, where you can dictate messages and search features, I am not aware of that extensive a capability in Android yet.

Click the mic icon near a text input, and it dictates. Use the voice feature and say "dixie chick concert" and it finds the nearest one. Say "navigate to McDonalds" and it does. Stock, since Android 2.1

It's pretty simple. He's an Apple troll.

The only time Ive broke a screen on an iPhone is when I dropped it on the interstate doing 75 mph and a truck ran it over.

I've had some coworkers that have busted an iPhone screen and many that have busted various android screens.

I just don't get these posts Nick....

Click the mic icon near a text input, and it dictates. Use the voice feature and say "dixie chick concert" and it finds the nearest one. Say "navigate to McDonalds" and it does. Stock, since Android 2.1
That is just speech to text. Nothing new there at all. Siri is far more advanced as it not only integrates to most all of the apps, it interprets what you are saying to derive meaning.

If you long-press the search button on android phones it will open a voice prompt. From there you can do lots of things:

"send text message to jim johnson, i'm on my way over right now"

"navigate to home depot"

"go to newegg.com"

"call john doe"

I'm sure there's more... but those are the common things I use...

Nick's monthly calendar reminder to make a trolling post must have gone off yesterday.

"I have a friend that dropped his iPhone into the toilet and it doesn't work anymore. That is why Android is a superior product." - Nick (in a future post)

"What is Thy bidding my Master?"

"Navigate to Occupy Apple protest, Android."

:popcorn:

Nick's monthly calendar reminder to make a trolling post must have gone off yesterday.

"I have a friend that dropped his iPhone into the toilet and it doesn't work anymore. That is why Android is a superior product." - Nick (in a future post)
It wasn't the PoA calender...that one's stuck on December 2010 :wink2:

Video: "Lets do an even and fair comparison of the performance of two different devices and how they handle being dropped from a couple of different heights"

POA: "NICK HATES APPLE!!!!!"

Did I sum this up right?

Video: "Lets do an even and fair comparison of the performance of two different devices and how they handle being dropped from a couple of different heights"

Did I sum this up right?
Nope.

Did I sum this up right?
Nope.

Pretty much it was
AndroidFanBoySkyHog said:
I hate Apple and I will once again make an outrageous claim of how sucky they are and how Android is vastly superior.

If you long-press the search button on android phones it will open a voice prompt. From there you can do lots of things:

"send text message to jim johnson, i'm on my way over right now"

"navigate to home depot"

"go to newegg.com"

"call john doe"

I'm sure there's more... but those are the common things I use...

This. Basically, tell your phone to do something, and it will. And it has, since 2.1.

Did I sum this up right?

Nope.

If the title of the thread had been "Lets do an even and fair comparison of the performance of two different devices and how they handle being dropped from a couple of different heights", and you hadn't included the statement..."Should point out that everyone I know that has an iPhone has shattered the screen at least once". Then maybe it wouldn't be a trollish post. But you didn't use that title and you did include the trollish statement. (And you do hate Apple)

By the way, I've been through two iPhones and I haven't shattered a screen yet...and you know me.

Interesting that top Android phone maker HTC said with its 3rd quarter results that in the 4th quarter it expects to ship less phones that it did in the 3rd quarter. I wonder if that is related to the iPhone4S shipments that many expect to dominate the holiday period?

I have an iPhone, a Androind HTC EVO and a Android Motorola Milestone. I hate that Motorola phone and have been really disappointed with it since I got it. It is under powered, slow to update the OS, resets all the time and has featured turned off that I cannot get turned back on. The HTC was a huge improvement and it pretty nice. But I still prefer my iPhone. The usability is just a lot better than the Android OS IMHO.

Can we get a video of dropping a Cessna and a Piper straight down from 600' and seeing which one breaks? ;)

My money's on the Piper, actually. Even being a Cessna fan. The low wing's tougher in this non-standard application for airplane technology. :)

It's aways fun to compare things by testing them in ways they weren't intended to be used.

In ways that count, and things they were designed to do, iPhone kicks Android's butt. ;) ;) ;)

Can we get a video of dropping a Cessna and a Piper straight down from 600' and seeing which one breaks? ;)

My money's on the Piper, actually. Even being a Cessna fan. The low wing's tougher in this non-standard application for airplane technology. :)

It's aways fun to compare things by testing them in ways they weren't intended to be used.

In ways that count, and things they were designed to do, iPhone kicks Android's butt. ;) ;) ;)

Maybe not designed to do, but it sure happens quite frequently.

Maybe not designed to do, but it sure happens quite frequently.

Heh... note the specifics... STRAIGHT down. So yeah, stall/spins happen, but I was very specific.

Far more accidents happen due to loss of directional control (those aren't STRAIGHT down) than stall/spin. :)

Wonder if we could get a video of what happens if you throw both phones hard enough that they glide a bit. :)

Back