Another reason I don't like AOPA

Bob Noel

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Noel
Today I received an "urgent" message that my aircraft insurance was expiring. Interesting, since I had paid it this month. It turns out to be marketing junk mail scam from "AOPA Insurance Agency"

Do the marketers think owners are that stupid?

(ok, we are stupid for owning an aircraft, but still.....)

AOPA does alot of good things.

They also waste a ton of money on junk mail postage.

I get a lot of junk mail from AOPA also trying to sell me stuff. I get junk emails from them trying to sell me stuff and getting upset with me for not signing up for this or that "free" service. What do I do? Throw the mail out and delete the emails. No biggie to me.

In any event, I will continue my membership as its really the only game in town for supporting GA, plus I want my 20 year pin in two years. :D

i sent them an email telling them to stop sending me junk. they replied with an apology for clogging up my mailbox and actually stopped the mailings.

There is some discussion of the new upgraded membership on another board. That it creates classes of membership when most think all members should get the same treatment. They are touting several additional services for an additional annual membership fee including more responsive service.

Best,

Dave

I'm not going to bash AOPA, but the main reason I joined was to get online access for weather and flight planning information, when that stuff became available online. Now, you can get all of that information from a multitude of free Internet sources.

I pretty much just keep my membership so I can get the cool magazine, and I know it's doing some good. But, if finances start to get tight.....

PLus their stupid insurance is about twice as expensive as the rest.

I just renewed my non-owned policy, and printed out AOPA's advertised rates for a basis of comparison. Not remembering any specific numbers, AOPA was about 10% to 15% more expensive than what my broker was giving me.

I remain a member because of their advocacy - not perfect, but until PoA creates its own lobbying arm, as good as it's gonna get.

I used AOPA Insurance Agency for two years, and the rates they got me were very good; first year, they had to do some "extra" shopping (ie, more than just reading the quotes the computer gave the agent on the phone), but the guy was very responsive and got me a good deal.

Since, have changed agencies, but not for anything negative about AOPA, but rather, because I was developing a more direct relationship with another broker, one known for particularly sound service.

I remain a member because of their advocacy - not perfect, but until PoA creates its own lobbying arm, as good as it's gonna get.

EAA does lots of lobbying. And has an interesting magazine. And sponsors cool fly-ins.

EAA does lots of lobbying. And has an interesting magazine. And sponsors cool fly-ins.

Completely agree - that's why I pay dues to them, as well! :yes:

That has not been my experience. I pay about $900 for $1M smooth and $32K hull. If that is too expensive, point me towards where I can find it for half.

Back