Another reason high wings are the best

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Emergency shop space.

The garage at home is more coffin-like than a shop. It’s tiny and very COLD. The hangar is bigger, mostly insulated with better lighting and all my tools are there.

Have a tow truck come get the car, a shop fix it, find a ride to pick it up for big $ or:

Get a friend to tow to the hangar and fix it yourself for much less $

So park your projects under your high wing and get to work! But keep in mind there could be a problem if the airplane gets a flat tire...

That might work less well if you had any Cessna but a Cardinal.

The wing sits a bit higher than a 172 or 182, and it doesn't have a wing strut.

And of course, you won't fit an Excursion under there….or pretty much anywhere else.

IMO, the best use of Cessna high wings (especially on a Cardinal) is for picnic shade.

That might work less well if you had any Cessna but a Cardinal.

The wing sits a bit higher than a 172 or 182, and it doesn't have a wing strut.

And of course, you won't fit an Excursion under there….or pretty much anywhere else.

IMO, the best use of Cessna high wings (especially on a Cardinal) is for picnic shade.

Struts aren't a problem. Been parking under 150's, 172, 177 for years. I've never tried but I think small Pickups & SUVs will fit under 205/206/207. Maybe even a few 210s.

Sounds more like a why heated hangars are better than unheated garages thread.

I can't bang my head on a 177 wing (at least the RG version). I can on 172s and 182s. And especially 150/152s.

I'm about 5'11" and bumped my head on the wingtip getting out of the driver's side of that car as it sit in that picture. That includes a bit of upslope from the dihedral.

I like the 177s over the others cause they are easier for me to get fuel into. The flat spring geared stuff is way higher.

this is a 172

Last edited:
After reading the lease rules, I'm not sure you can even put an airplane in one! :rofl:

Lots of rules but they don't require you name the airport authority on your insurance like the city of crete demanded I did.

There are heated insulated hangars that are actually quite nice for not too crazy of a price.

I agree. I keep kicking the idea of going heated. I like V10 way out of the way. If this airplane finally goes home I'd hate to sit on it, especially heated.

I'd be quattin lol. No plane but paying the rent. I'd have to get an RV kit or they might take the hangar away :rofl:

Lots of rules but they don't require you name the airport authority on your insurance like the city of crete demanded I did.

I was temporarily storing the crumpled and broken remains of an aircraft in an old abandoned hangar. The airport kept pestering my folks to sign off on a lease that required that we get comercial operations coverage that named them as an additional insured, and, if I recall, required us to get workers compensation coverage. Why? This airplane was never flying again. Some pencil pusher just needed to check off a box.

Fortunately, we just kept sending them a check every month, which seemed to keep them mostly satisfied until we found a permenant home, and shipped it out of there.

Last edited:
Back