Another Prepar3D v4 Question

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
It's probably due to Windows 10 updates, but now, at least most of the time when I load the sim and click anywhere in the sim window, I get an open dialog box error sound and nothing happens and as far as I can tell, there's no open simulator dialog box.

Anyone else see this issue? and if you fixed it, what was the s?

I have done a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk /f c: and found nothing wrong.
I can always reinstall it and see if that fixes the issue. Maybe Lockheed Martin has a new v4 version that fixes this issue. Does anyone know?

It's probably due to Windows 10 updates, but now, at least most of the time when I load the sim and click anywhere in the sim window, I get an open dialog box error sound and nothing happens and as far as I can tell, there's no open simulator dialog box.

Anyone else see this issue? and if you fixed it, what was the s?

I have done a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk /f c: and found nothing wrong.
I can always reinstall it and see if that fixes the issue. Maybe Lockheed Martin has a new v4 version that fixes this issue. Does anyone know?
https://www.prepar3d.com/news/announcements/2021/12/120925/

I guess the point is moot now. After rebooting my PC V4 won't even load.

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid going to a new version of Prepar3D as I have several 3rd party applications that don't recognize V5.x. I also have concerns about connecting to my Saitek Flight boxes and Flight Information Panel.
I don't really know anything about it other than I googled it to see what it was. I recall seeing something about a version 4.5 hot fix. Anyway, good luck

Thanks all. I'll look into a V4.5 hot fix. Howsomever, I poked around looking for V5 compatibility, and almost everything is compatible. Unfortunately, my Mega Scenery Earth downloads are only good to V4. OTOH, I found a video of Prepar3D V5 running MegaScenery Earth compatible with V5, and it blows the doors off the previous versions.

A little later.
I just checked. I have the latest version with the latest hotfix. I guess V4 has reached End Of Life.

I understand this isn’t relevant, but I used P3D for ages and am now on MSFS. The biggest difference to me is that with P3D I used to spend at least 1:1 time trying to get it to work vs. flying, and I had to load like 8 things in a very specific order (gauges, weather engine, etc.) or the sim wouldn’t work. I had dozens of things to keep updated. With MSFS it’s just click and go. I’ve flown 500 hours in it in the last year; the most I ever did in a year in P3D was maybe 50.

I understand this isn’t relevant, but I used P3D for ages and am now on MSFS. The biggest difference to me is that with P3D I used to spend at least 1:1 time trying to get it to work vs. flying, and I had to load like 8 things in a very specific order (gauges, weather engine, etc.) or the sim wouldn’t work. I had dozens of things to keep updated. With MSFS it’s just click and go. I’ve flown 500 hours in it in the last year; the most I ever did in a year in P3D was maybe 50.
I agree about the order of things to load, but I only have 5 to load and their icons are in order on my desktop. MSFS has probably improved, but the most recent thing I saw was that it still wasn't ready for prime time.

I bit the bullet and bought Prepar3D V5.3. That solved the problem. I have FS Logbook Editor so it was nearly trivial to transfer my V4.5 logbook to V5.3.
I just started V5.3 up w/o any add-ons, so I'll have to add those to my setup.
Unfortunately, most, if not all of my Mega Scenery Earth downloads are not compatible with V5.3. :(

I had a bit of trouble downloading the Honeycomb Alpha driver for V5.3. Edge wouldn't let them download. I didn't think Chrome did, either, but then I tried Firefox and it downloaded the driver without a problem. I left a comment on Honeycomb's support page that I was successful with Firefox, as others have had the same problem.

Last edited:
I discovered a hack on the internet that lets me use my V4 airplanes on V5, and another that lets me use V4 scenery on V5.

As far as I can tell, the scenery on V5 is better than on V4.
However, for some reason, my two Cessna 172s, one by Perfect Flight, the other by Carenado, both lose power to the electric/electronic equipment in flight. Reloading seems to help. I looked for V5 Cessnas, but so far they only go to V4. I'm using V5 Rev. 3, so it's been out long enough, you'd think, that they would have upgraded the models to run on V5 by now.

I found a Lockheed Martin CUASE single engine piston that looks like a modern, streamlined C-172 that seems to have similar, if not the same V-Speeds as a Skyhawk. That's what I'm using now.

Edit:
I was flying the CUASE and it lost electrical power. I loaded a V4 Skyhawk and got power back. So, it isn't because I hacked a V4 aircraft into V5.

Last edited:
Back