Another prebuy..

sdflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sdflyer
This time it went well. After two exhausting days the airplane is finally mine.:yesnod:

1984 Cessna 172P

1237253_10201436040736495_1605948687_o.jpg

Looks nice, congrats, I would pick up some sun-shades

Thanks. Shades are already in progress:)

I'm also trying figure out where to find some plug/filters to air vent holes. The kind which protect against bugs and etc

plugs for small vents... check hobby shops for the white upholstery foam. Spray paint a bright noticeable color, attach your own read "remove" streamer.

And don't forget some chocks... that drop behind you looks pretty steep!

The aviation catalogs sell the plug material "kits. Each contains a square section of yellow plug material along with the cords and stuff for DIY. They cost ~$20 but are the right stuff for the job.

Thanks everyone. I'm still scratching my head and thinking "oh **** I did it" :)

Мои поздравления! Летай долго и счастливо :)

Thanks guys..

The airplane came with basic IFR but no DME. I'm not ready to invest another 10k in avionics upgrade. So far I'm planning to put used DME unit in order to accommodate local instrument approaches. I also ordered "snap on" windshield covers. So here goes my first spendings. :lol::mad2::yikes:

I was so happy when I purchased my first aircraft ,a 172 I went out and ordered flap gap seals.,and a windshield cover.

The aviation catalogs sell the plug material "kits. Each contains a square section of yellow plug material along with the cords and stuff for DIY. They cost ~$20 but are the right stuff for the job.

Or buy a 4' stick of 1/2" or 3/4" rubberized (armaflex) pipe insulation and a small roll of bright red surveyors flagging tape. Total cost, about $3.00. Cut off a 2" piece of insulation. Slide a 12" piece of red flagging through the hole. Stuff it in the wing's air inlet.

I also used longer pieces of pipe insulation to keep birds out of my tail stinger when I was in a sunshade hangar.

The cheap "home depot style" foam pipe insulation works too but the rubberized insulation will last far longer (as it also does on pipes).

Nice bird, congrats!

Last edited:
BTW...another idea...

I know some guys who stuff loosely woven plastic scrubbing pads into their Cessna's wing air inlets and leave them there. They claim it doesn't reduce the airflow and keeps bugs, spiders, wasps, etc. at bay.

15472650-a-group-of-copper-mesh-scouring-pads-on-white.jpg

Ok
Here come first damages. New vacuum pump, fuel senders, area 500, and used DME :)

aqy7e6yv.jpg

BTW...another idea...

I know some guys who stuff loosely woven plastic scrubbing pads into their Cessna's wing air inlets and leave them there. They claim it doesn't reduce the airflow and keeps bugs, spiders, wasps, etc. at bay.

15472650-a-group-of-copper-mesh-scouring-pads-on-white.jpg

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

I'll give it a shot! Thanks!

A place I rented from over the summer did exactly that. The airvents felt completely normal, but I can't vouch for how well it keeps the creepy crawlies out, because I didn't maintain the planes.

Back