Another Plane suggestion thread

Monpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Monpilot
with all the recent posts regarding best plane for $ with X and Y, maybe we should have a separate forum?

my wife is training for her PPL and we are "what if" ing about getting a plane once she gets her ticket.

i'm having fun looking at the different planes but would like suggestions from the members on a good plane meeting the following criteria:

1. $250k or below (pretty much no wiggle room to go higher)
2. factory air conditioning (it's Houston so nuff said) - not sure if ALL airplanes have factory a/c hence mentioning it here
3. true 4 adult place plane (~900 lbs) with 2 hours of fuel
4. IFR
5. certified (as much as some of the kit airplanes look really cool, i'd feel safer having a factory build it)

I've looked at the Cessna 206H but that's $328k for a 2004 model year with air conditioning. Plus 310HP seems like overkill. There's a Saratoga on controller for only $118k and it's similar to the Archer III I fly so that's a plus.

Any other makes and models people suggest?

Once I get a make and model in mind then I can start window shopping to see which planes eventually come up for sale with the most avionics.

thanks!

Not many planes have AC at all, much less factory air. Sure would be nice, though . . .

Your budget offers many excellent choices, but many will be High Performance and/or Complex, which makes for expensive insurance for new pilots. Mooney (M20-K, M, R, S; Beech Bonanza A/G 36; Cirrus SR20/22; all leap to mind, maybe Diamond DA20, some Pipers (Lance, Cherokee 6, the Ms?).

Or you can stay basic with Grummans, early Mooneys (M20A through J), Cherokees, Cessna 172 / 182.

Many will have 900 lb useful load, but you trade people and baggage (payload) for fuel. Also, 2 hours' fuel won't get you very far; unlike your car, airplanes are required to carry reserve fuel, since you can't pull over at the next cloud. Two hours plus reserve can be as little as 2-1/2 hours legally, but many instructors teach one hour reserve all the time, as running out of gas is the easiest accident to prevent.

Happy shopping,and congratulations on your wife taking lessons!

P.S.--precious few 4-place airplanes will carry four people and full fuel. It obviously depends on the people loaded, it's a weight thing. Last time I carried four adults, I was limited to 34 gallons (in my 52 gallon tanks), good for three hours plus reserves.

Commander 114/115 had an option for factory air, and many have them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input. When we get to that point we are going to study the options you provide. Doing that homework will be fun!

Back