Another Pioneer goes West.....

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
WEATHER PIONEER ROBERT N. BUCK DIES AT 93
Famed weather research pioneer and longtime AOPA Air Safety Foundation Board of Visitors member Robert N. Buck died recently in Vermont. He was 93. Among other accomplishments in his more than 70-year flying career, Buck literally "wrote the book" on how general aviation pilots should cope with weather. Read the biography from AOPA Pilot. "Almost every pilot has read or should have read his 1970 classic 'Weather Flying,'" said Air Safety Foundation Executive Director Bruce Landsberg. "And as a foundation Board of Visitors member since 1991, Bob was not only a great personal friend, but an inspiration for many of the foundation's current weather programs." Buck laid the groundwork for much of what GA pilots know today about severe weather. He pioneered research in the 1940s by flying through thunderstorms and severe icing conditions in B-17s and a fortified P-61 Black Widow. That work won him a Civilian Air Medal from President Harry S. Truman. Visit AOPA Online to listen to a 90-second audio clip of Buck's first-hand description of what it's like to fly through a thunderstorm.

Having read 3 of his books recently, I'm in awe of the man's achievements!

Fair winds, and may you never have to shoot another approach to minimums......

well shoot now i really got to get to that book.

His book was recommended to me some time ago but I've got so much stuff to read now, I'm booked up!

I'll have to go ahead and get it while I can. I had no clue he was that old. Given the number of times I'd had his book recommended, he was very well respected.

Just finished reading "A Pilot's Burden". Very good. I've got "Weather Flying" and "North Star Over My Shoulder" as well. If anyone wants to borrow them, drop me a message.

Back