Another Pilot lost - or about to be.

Well, given the source I have some skepticism. However, my dad passed from pancreatic cancer. Very low survival rate, and the end can come very quickly. So, if that's his actual diagnosis, I'm sorry for him and his loved ones.

My grandma passed from that one, and it haunts me. I never want to hear that diagnosis.

I know a survivor. It looked very, very, very grim for him for a long time, yet somehow he lived.

Prognosis negative, that's for sure. I'll hope for the best.

My mother-in-law died from it at age 50. It's a very painful cancer as well.

He'll be in our prayers.

Man this just STINKS. I just mentioned in another thread that I HATE THIS DISEASE. Pancreatic is a tough one. I'll pray he recovers.:mad::(

Just found out a nice client of my partners has Huntingtons Corea:(

Some one please post some good news

Last edited:
He's wealthy, he's very fit, and he loves flying... I'd say his chances are pretty good, considering.
Best of luck to him.

That stinks. Like Adam, cancer is one of those diseases that just puts a burr under my saddle.

This got my dad's youngest brother when he was barely 70. From first symptom (jaundice) to his passing was a mere 6 mos including 1 month at Mayo.

Last month, I took my CFI checkride on the 11th. That night after returning to PDK and leaving the airport, I tried to call my two sisters in Arizona (Nikki's is eleven years older than I and the one next sibling above me; Barb is my oldest sibling). Both were cosigners on my Sallie Mae loans and I owe them for having faith in me to take the chance. I could not reach either so I left a message.

The next morning, I was awaken by a call from Nikki. She congratulated me for passing the checkride. Then she said she had some news for me. Barb was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the day before. Nikki was at the hospital late into the evening while there were additional consultations with other radiologists and oncologists.

It was advanced and they were not giving her very long. Just the weekend before diagnosis, Barb was up and around. She felt like she had a cold but she was driving and getting around.

The next couple days, Barb was actively talking and was able to handle a few legal matters for a lawyer called in for her. The third day, they performed some procedure to ease the expected pain. From that point on, she deteriorated rapidly. I last spoke with her nine days after diagnosis. She could hear me but had difficulty saying anything at all though she tried. Nikki told her "Tuffy" was on the phone; my nickname at a very young age. I asked Barb, "Are you still calling me Tuffy after all these years?" Nikki said her eyes lit up. I told her I loved her and that was the last time I spoke with her.

Two days later, she died; eleven days after diagnosis.

Like the article, Nikki was told there was less than a five percent chance of survival even in early stages. Barb made it clear to Nikki she was ready to go. Barb was 66 and the mother of two daughters. The oldest, Terri, disappeared in 1986; never to be seen again. She was a month older than I. The youngest, Conni, died three years ago from food poisoning and septic shock. Conni was two years younger than I. I spent a lot of time with Barb, Bob (my brother-in-law) and the girls; pretty much a second family. Barb was ready to "go see her babies."

I was going to fly out there but had no means. As of two days later when she had gone down hill so fast, I decided that was not how I wanted to remember her. My last image was having lunch with her at a Mexican restaurant in Phoenix two years ago. I didn't want that image replaced by another on her deathbed, not able to speak.

I watched my dad die from stomach cancer over three months. With my mom, I knew it was coming for three years. I knew it was coming but that didn't make it any easier. Perhaps some selfishness kept me from making that the case with Barb. But, I just wanted that last image one from a pleasant time.

It's devastating seeing how fast such a disease can take someone. It caught all of us off-guard. I'm not sure which is easier, a sudden death or watching it coming over months or even days as in Barb's case. Regardless, I can only pray Mr. Swayze has success in beating this, the constant love of his family and friends and completion of the life he started with.

My apologies for making this more extended than normal. It was not my intent to take away from what Mr. Swayze is experiencing or his and his family's suffering. I just wanted to talk to how quickly this particular disease can take from you and your family.

As a side note, when a member on this board had learned of Barb's pending death, he offered to pay for an airline ticket out of pocket, no strings attached. I won't name that person but all of you should know there is such a kind person who does exist on this board. I declined the offer for the reason I spoke to above. I'll continue to be appreciative of that offer and thankful for such a person.

Ken

Ken; That's quite a story. You and your family have my sympathies. I can understand the situation as my father succumbed to lung cancer. He managed 7 months after the diagnosis. In his case, he did exactly what he wanted for most of those 7 months and maintained fairly good humor thoughout.
I've also gone through it with a very dear friend when her mother received a similar diagnosis. It's not easy for the family and I can only hope you had help with it.
It's not something I'd want anyone to go through. And I'll offer this; if you want to talk, call me. Any time. It's not something we get over easy.

I lost a colleague last year to Pancreatic cancer. He was complaining of diarrhea and nausea after returning from a business trip. Doctor said it was probably something he ate. It got worse. When he finally checked into a hospital, he didn't check out. 1 month start to finish.

My dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer in October. He had surgery in early November, from which he has completely recovered. For you docs - Whipple procedure. He is now undergoing chemo and radiation treatment. Prognosis, last I heard, is excellent. He's 81 and was in excellent health until this hit. He's now in the enviable position of having to count calories to make sure he gets enough, rather than the reason most of us should be counting them.

I wish Swayze well. This is a bad one, but some do survive.

Ghery, I'm glad he beat it and you've still got him around.

I'm really sorry to read these stories. For all that they've made great strides against cancer everyone I know has been affected by it at some point - either relatives or friends. Grant, sorry to hear about your Dad, how long ago was that?

Ken, I didn't know you went through that so recently too.

Ghery, I'm glad your Dad is doing so well. Both of my parents are cancer survivors and I know what a scary time it is.

Grant, sorry to hear about your Dad, how long ago was that?
Thanks. It was Nov. of '05. I was able to give him a ride before he passed, and, since we had flown down to the Bahamas a couple of days earlier, were able to cut that short and fly back to Del Ray Beach (Fort Lauderdale area) to be with him while he was still coherent.

Back