Another pilot causes the Capitol and White House to go into a frenzy...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Story here

Here we go again, folks. Must be getting near election and budget re-authorization for this to receive top billing from the security authorities. There was another one last week that hit the news.

Another story here

When will pilots learn?

Will this one start a flight school?

Maybe he didn't get the memo that all the other pilots dropped out of the mass protest.

If 1,000 Cessnas flew in trail through the airspace....

I'm still waiting for the AAA to be setup on the steps of Capitol Hill.

Unbeleivable. I mean I gotta wonder if these boneheads are living under a rock.

"The airspace violation prompted security officials to temporarily raise the threat level from yellow to orange..."

WHAT!?!?! How soon before some guy stumbles into the area and is shot down?

By the way, wouldn't it be better for all concerned if they REMAINED INSIDE? Why, if there was the slightest possibility of gunfire (or anything else, for that matter) would you chase everyone out into the streets whch, if I recall correctly, offer NO protection. That just doesn't make sense at all.

Yep,

The SS would arrest 1000 pilots.

~ Christopher
Kinda' like any protest.... The point is a clear articulation of the point.

All you who cry out in defense of civil disobedience, I challenge you to put your money where your mouth is.

"The threat level was soon returned to yellow, or elevated and later, green - or low threat - according to police and other officials."

I can't recall ever seeing the threat level below orange before... since when do they ever lower that thing to green?

OK, flying from Carroll County???? What kind of imbecile would NOT know about the ADIZ???? If I had to guess, it's somebody with an expired medical and charts that are 10yrs old, just decided to go flying.

The 1000 Cessnas in trail through the ADIZ ain't a bad idea, but the FAA'd nail you for busting Bravo airspace ('cause the odds of them giving clearance through Bravo for one bugsmasher, let alone 1000, are 0). 1000 revoked pilots licenses, and tons of news coverage about how exposed DC is to air attack by light aircraft, followed by more draconian laws = my expected result.

Here we go again, folks. Must be getting near election and budget re-authorization for this to receive top billing from the security authorities. There was another one last week that hit the news.

Bingo. Gets people to stop focusing on the economy and the war in Iraq and back onto National Security. The only poll that shows the Republican's beating Democrats this election.

Look for more of this as we get closer to November.

The plane is registered to a fly in Florida.
Where's he been (if it was him) the last seven years?
The ADIZ is structured to keep us out of the FRZ at the core and I guess 30 miles isn't enough.

We really need to cull out our botom 10%. Sigh.

OK, flying from Carroll County???? What kind of imbecile would NOT know about the ADIZ????
According to news reports, the Florida owner to whom the plane is registered sold the plane this morning to a Texas pilot, who was the pilot flying today, so, not surprisingly, the guy's "from outta town". The transaction took place in Carroll County, where the new owner's son lives. This airport is a little over 10 miles outside the ADIZ, so this is how far he got in his new plane without screwing up. An inauspicious maiden voyage.

The newspapers are reporting his closest position as being 6 miles NW of the Capitol, which sounds close to the edge of surface area Class Bravo, though I'd take this with a grain of salt.

Assuming he had current charts, I really can't imagine how he could not have noticed anything unusual about the area, there's all sort of non-standard symbology here to at least get your attention.

The best quote is from the Senate Sergeant at Arms:
"Some people are continuing to self-evacuate."
-harry

We really need to cull out our botom 10%. Sigh.
I agree with what I think you mean, but need to point out that this is like saying we want all pilots to be above average. It literally cannot happen. (Yes, I know you know this; I'm merely being pedantic! :))

...this is like saying we want all pilots to be above average. It literally cannot happen...
Well, technically, the statement "cull our bottom 10%" is perfectly actionable, assuming you had a way to identify this bottom 10%, and a way to cull them. What's not possible is to never have a bottom 10%, but you can always cull your bottom 10%.
-harry

No. We do not cull the bottom 10%. We get rid of all of D.C. and start from scratch.

I agree with what I think you mean, but need to point out that this is like saying we want all pilots to be above average. It literally cannot happen. (Yes, I know you know this; I'm merely being pedantic! :))
I know you work in the academic world so I am not sure you are used to this concept of culling the bottom 10%. It was made popular by Jack Welsch CEO of GE. Who every year would have 10% of his workers fired as they were the bottom 10% and thus could not be contributing to the success of the company. The idea being that you would only end up with above average workers. It is a bad policy that instead of getting rid of the bottom 10% causes people to be rated higher on false basis but the actual performance still is that same ole bell curve.

You're right, it does not work

I know you work in the academic world so I am not sure you are used to this concept of culling the bottom 10%. It was made popular by Jack Welsch CEO of GE. Who every year would have 10% of his workers fired as they were the bottom 10% and thus could not be contributing to the success of the company. The idea being that you would only end up with above average workers. It is a bad policy that instead of getting rid of the bottom 10% causes people to be rated higher on false basis but the actual performance still is that same ole bell curve.

But Welch's theory also said that you heap rewards on the top 10% to keep them productive and reward them for the success. Carrot and stick.

I do know at least one company that implemented a program as you described it above and found huge reduction in morale as there was no benefit to doing better than average. It's now become routine to wonder who is going to get axed at budget time (budget season is now known as "firing season"). fear, in and of itself, is not a good thing.

I do know at least one company that implemented a program as you described it above and found huge reduction in morale as there was no benefit to doing better than average. It's now become routine to wonder who is going to get axed at budget time (budget season is now known as "firing season"). fear, in and of itself, is not a good thing.
Would that company be based in Illinois? If not you can add another to your list.

No excuses for this incursion. None.

First, under what rock has this guy been living for the last 7 years?? OK, so he tunes out any discussion of DC airspace. Fine.

Still, wouldn't you at least GLANCE at a chart of the area? A reasonably current chart of the area? Wouldn't your curiosity be at least a little piqued by that oddly-marked ADIZ circle? And is that really safe, taking a new-to-you plane in a new-to-you area under the lowest Bravo shelf in a densely-populated metropolis?

Make him re-earn his ticket. Back to school for you, bozo!

But Welch's theory also said that you heap rewards on the top 10% to keep them productive and reward them for the success. Carrot and stick.

Or when the company says "We did more in the last half of last year than in the previous three years combined!" and 10% of those of you did that still gotta go. :mad:

The Dilbert list had the manager that told his sales team that they all had to beat their average sales numbers. I guess they don't stress math too much in MBA programs.

Seriously, I discovered to my surprise talking to a guy at a high tech company that they get the same treatment. His take was the same as mine. Do outside things to compensate. (One reason I learned to fly was the company couldn't say I couldn't and my energy and intelligence had to be used somewhere.) There's gonna be one than one revolution when the bad times come soon.

Back