Another one to "identify"

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Ok, you can read "Aeronca" on the tail...

but what model Aeronca....

again, use of the registry is frowned upon.B)

Attachments

• P1010060.JPG
    P1010060.JPG
    630.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010064.JPG
    P1010064.JPG
    647.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P1010066.JPG
    P1010066.JPG
    576.4 KB · Views: 26
Looks like a Chief to me. Only thing throwing me is the open cowling with cylinders sticking out. The one ive flown in (1939) had an enclosed cowling but about the same shape from the front. This particular one had the Lycoming "65" HP instead of the continental, and climb was at best anemic with me and the owner in there. Lots of fun though. Two of em here at Ames.

An Aeronca K that has been converted to a Continental? Otherwise, it could be a WW2 Aeronca. I don't know the designator for that offhand.

Interesting. I saw one yesterday flying at Ashe County airport in North Carolina yesterday. Not sure what model it is though. Neat looking plane.

Close enough to count, I suppose.:p

It's a 1939 Aeronca 65C "Super Chief".

Per www.aerofiles.com Aeronca introduced a Continental powered model in 1938, of which many were impressed by USAAF as an O-58/L-3 in 1942, and a Lycoming powered model in 1939, both with 65 hp.

This one was in the hangar at OPL during their open house on Saturday. It's possible the owner adapted a Cub eyebrow cowling, although later production models came with them.

tonycondon said:
Looks like a Chief to me. Only thing throwing me is the open cowling with cylinders sticking out. The one ive flown in (1939) had an enclosed cowling but about the same shape from the front. This particular one had the Lycoming "65" HP instead of the continental, and climb was at best anemic with me and the owner in there. Lots of fun though. Two of em here at Ames.

i was always under the impression that the chief was the 65 hp version and the "super" chief was 85 or better. and in my vast knowledge of observing chiefs, i would give a far reaching guess that the cowling is a mod.

I agree with Tony on the "super chief" part.

Pre-war Chiefs had open cowlings...all the ones I've seen had eyebrows, but I wouldn't bet my life that they all came from the factory with eyebrows.

Fly safe!

David

JRitt said:
:goofy: It must be a Cessna. One engine and the wing is on the top.
Like this Cessna?
s-tripacer%20020.jpg

Not at all like this Piper though right?

ce310-05.jpg

:rolleyes::eek:B):):rofl:

Last edited:
MauleSkinner said:
I agree with Tony on the "super chief" part.

Pre-war Chiefs had open cowlings...all the ones I've seen had eyebrows, but I wouldn't bet my life that they all came from the factory with eyebrows.

Fly safe!

David

the two prewar chiefs here at ames have fully enclosed cowlings, no eyebrows.

The pre-war "Chiefs" were Aeronca 50C, F, L, LA, and M's with 50 hp Continentals, Franklins, Lycomings, or Menasco's.

The pre-war "Super Chiefs" were Aeronca 65C, CA, LA, TC, and TF's with 65hp engines by Continental, Lycoming, or Franklin.

Post-war the 11AC "Chief" had 65hp Continentals, the 11BC "Chief" and 11CC "Super Chief" had 85hp Continentals.

http://www.aerofiles.com/_aeron.html

:cheerswine:

Steve said:
Or this one?

620side.jpg

It is a Cessna 620. The only one made. I knew it was a 600 series, but didn't know the 20 till I saw the image title when I replied. LOL

yea supposedly "twice" as good as a 310.

thanks for clearing that up steve. i flew a 65LA, continental, and anemic on a hot summer evening with two guys. 250 fpm was the goal not the norm.

Who was in a hurry in 1939? (stateside)....:goofy:

tonycondon said:
yea supposedly "twice" as good as a 310.

thanks for clearing that up steve. i flew a 65LA, continental, and anemic on a hot summer evening with two guys. 250 fpm was the goal not the norm.

Back