Another one leaves the nest

LDJones

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Jonesy
I've been remiss in not posting some of these...

This young man has airline aspirations and may very well get there!

WernessSpencer_FirstSolo_web.jpg

(http://www.mnaviationpro.com/2014/10/08/spencer-goes-solo/)

He made a great video of his flight that I will post when I get a copy!

Oh man, you need to start a thread that shows these.
That's pretty cool you make that collage for your students.

Sweet! Look forward to seeing the video.

Also, you are way nicer to your students than my CFI was to me on my first solo.

599563_10200929747592866_1548141292_n.jpg

Ice bucket challenge before it was Fab stastic....nice.

Jonsey what you did there was special. I wish I had something like that to remember my solo by .

Thanks. We've been doing them for the First Solo and each successful checkride. It makes for an interesting wall display over time!

When did the tradition of cutting a piece off of the student's shirt come about? When I soloed 35 years ago, I had no advance warning so I wouldn't have worn an old shirt :)

We were practicing landings (at night!) at KALN when my instructor told me to stop on the taxiway, jumped out, and said to do 3 touch and goes, then pick him up on the ramp.

In some ways, I wonder if that approach is better...didn't give me time to work myself up knowing that my solo was imminent :)

When did the tradition of cutting a piece off of the student's shirt come about?

The story I've always heard is that in the early days of aviation, with tandem seating (student up front, instructor in back) and no headsets, the instructor would tug on the shirt of the student to get their attention so he could talk (yell?) at them.

Cutting the shirttail off symbolizes no instructor there to tug on your shirt.

Or something like that...

I think it's a cool tradition, and glad to see instructors out there still doing it, and making it fun and a rite of passage for their students.

The story I've always heard is that in the early days of aviation, with tandem seating (student up front, instructor in back) and no headsets, the instructor would tug on the shirt of the student to get their attention so he could talk (yell?) at them.

Cutting the shirttail off symbolizes no instructor there to tug on your shirt.

Or something like that...

I think it's a cool tradition, and glad to see instructors out there still doing it, and making it fun and a rite of passage for their students.

Yep, that's my understanding of its origins. Students get a kick out of it. Probably NOT done in many 141 programs.

Back