Another one done

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
On friday another private pilot was minted in Ames. Tabrina (who lurks here) took her ride up in Mason City with Doug Rozendaal. She had to wait out fog in the morning and by the time she was flying for the ride the wind was gusting into the 20's but she performed well enough. It was cool for me to stand with Doug and Tabrina on the ramp at ames and get the blow by blow from both of them together. Congrats, and hopefully tabrina will start contributing :)

Congrats, Tabrina! I didn't realize you lurked here. ;)

Did you swing a post-checkride in the P-51 with Mr. Rosendahl afterwards? :eek:

Dan,

she'll have to answer that one. I wasnt nervous at all about her.

steve - i bet you wont show that post to your wife!! :D

Keep posting these good events Tony, they help keep my enthusiasm for getting the CFI alive (in spite of some recent horror stories).

Tabrina, congratulations! Step out of the lurking shadows please and take your bow!

Dan,

she'll have to answer that one. I wasnt nervous at all about her.

steve - i bet you wont show that post to your wife!! :D
I was the first PP student for my first CFI.

I was the first (and only -- he headed to RJs a week later) Instrument student for my CFII.

I was the first Commercial student for my Comm CFI.

I made them all nervous.

:)

well yea, the first student is nerve wracking just because you've never done it before!

I drank about 3 Dr. Peppers during my first solo students first trip around the pattern. I knew he could do it but I was just nervous!

well yea, the first student is nerve wracking just because you've never done it before!

I drank about 3 Dr. Peppers during my first solo students first trip around the pattern. I knew he could do it but I was just nervous!
Congratulations, Tony. But, you had the easy part. The true Congratulations goes to your student who did the work.

Go easy on your ulcers! :)

of course kenny. no ulcers yet. that particular dr. pepper binge was like 4 yrs ago so i think im OK.

I was so amped up for my first solo, Jim, my CFI, said "3 times around, stop and go."

A few landings later I pulled up to the ramp...

Jim: "How many T/o and landings was that?"

Me: "ummm.."

Jim: "Seven!"

Me: "Oops!" (I genuinely lost count!!!)

I was so amped up for my first solo, Jim, my CFI, said "3 times around, stop and go."

A few landings later I pulled up to the ramp...

Jim: "How many T/o and landings was that?"

Me: "ummm.."

Jim: "Seven!"

Me: "Oops!" (I genuinely lost count!!!)

:rofl::rofl::rofl: That's awesome.

Thanks for all the congrats, guys!

It feels great to finally have my PPL. Now once I get the money I'll start working towards my instrument and beyond...

Yeah, the winds on Friday were pretty gusty, but I managed to keep it on the runway (barely on the last one thanks to pulling out the correction on the roll out...) it's a good thing those runways in Mason City are a bit wider than the 24 foot ones at Greencastle!

Congratulations, Tabrina! You're helping make Tony look good! (With his gangly features and Gilligan's hat, he needs all the help he can get:rofl:) Iowa is a long way from Florida! What are your plans with your certificate? Will you be joining us at Gastons?

Congratulations!
it's a good thing those runways in Mason City are
a bit wider than the 24 foot ones at Greencastle!
Yeah, but those 24 footers are fun when it isn't so windy. We have one near here and I go there regularly to practice my "precision landings".

Congratulations Tabrina! :cheerswine:

Yeah, the winds on Friday were pretty gusty, but I managed to keep it on the runway

That makes your accomplishment even sweeter.

I look forward to reading more about your flying. :yes:

Totally true about the narrow runways. I'm looking forward to going back to Greencastle this summer and getting a lot of practice on my landings. Oooh, and that grass strip. I don't know why, but I still prefer grass landings over landings on pavement. I guess it's because my first 11 hours were almost all grass.

Once I get my bank account a little less below zero I'm planning on going on to get my instrument and then my commercial. What I really want to do is get my CFI and teach some day for a living...okay, maybe for supplemental income and I'll just marry someone that can support a poor pilot like me.

What's Gaston's??

Oh, I just looked at the Gaston's website (wow, it looks nice!)

If I've got the money come June (I hope so!), then I'll be there :)

... I'll just marry someone that can support a poor pilot like me.

Good luck with that! I keep telling my wife (who's been home for 5 years now since our daughter was born) that in another couple of years we're gonna switch - she can go out and cover the monthly nut, and I'll tend the house and the child, and instruct part-time.

Not getting a whole lot of enthusiasm...

there will be some of your friends from the midwest attending. Gastons is so damn cool, you'd love it!

If funds are still tight, I'm sure you can finagle a ride from someone else. There's usually quite a large contingent coming from your direction.

And congrats on the checkride, first of many.

Congrats Tabrina! Glad to have you posting here. You'll have to give us the blow-by-blow of your first flight with a pax!

Heh, I don't know if you want to hear all that...I started off strong by taking off on the wrong runway :). My check ride was at MCW, and if you look at the diagram, the 30 and 36 runways are coincident and can be a bit confusing to newcomers...even if their instructors did tell them 5 times not to take off on the wrong runway (ahem...Tony). Other than that, it went pretty well up until the landings. Winds were gusting to 21 (if I remember right) and my first landing was terrible. I finally got my pattern sorted out about the 4th or 5th landing and did a pretty decent crosswind landing, except that I pulled out the correction on the rollout, so that made me jerk to the side a bit. Definitely not my best flying, but I had a lot to deal with with the winds, plus I was being a bit lazy on my patterns.

Jesse is doing a good job with the site and he intends to add more to it soon. Contrary to what it looks like on the home page, we have a lot of female pilots (and their airplanes) who intend Gaston's and we have even more female pilots coming this year.

I hope you can make it. :)

Congrats Tabrina and Tony! Dont for get about the glider rating.

Contrary to what it looks like on the home page, we have a lot of female pilots (and their airplanes) who intend Gaston's and we have even more female pilots coming this year.

I hope you can make it. :)
Yes we do, and I now know better than to try to name them all! :yes: There's always room for another, though! We always seem to be able to find room for everyone, even if they're sold out there.

Back