Another One Bites the Dust...Goodbye 8A6

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by TRocket, Jan 12, 2020.

1. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    I'm sure most don't know Wilgrove Airpark, 8A6 in Charlotte. A 2,800 ft x 40 ft asphalt strip (well mostly, there is some grass growing up through the cracks), surrounded by trees. A good ole boys, mom and pops airport. It's where I learned to fly, did my first solo on runway 17, did my instrument training (flew out of there, but there are no approaches into Wilgrove), even did my commercial training. Really sad to see it go. To the best of my knowledge, it was built back in the 60's. A really cool little airport. The airport manager has been leasing it for years. Apparently the owners/investors/whoever decided to sell it, to build houses from what I understand. Just really hate to see it go. A mere 90 days from yesterday and the show is over.

Tony Long likes this.
  2. BrianNC

BrianNC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
    I had written a post and gotten Wilgrove confused with Goose Creek (did some training at Goose Creek), so I deleted it. When I lived in Charlotte I visited the airport a couple of times but never flew out of there. I know one of the instructors there, Robert Reynolds. Did some flying with him in a 182 one time out of Monroe. You hate to see an airport like that close.

3. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Terry
    Tony Long likes this.
  4. BrianNC

BrianNC Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    BrianATL
  5. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Sorry to hear this... :(

Tony Long likes this.
  6. Terry M - 3CK (Chicago)

Terry M - 3CK (Chicago) Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Terry
    @BrianNC i don’t “like” your post but I do feel you.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Tony Long likes this.
  7. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    I flew over there for the first time back before the holidays. My first thought as I was climbing out looking at expensive developments surrounding it was “man this place isn’t going to last long”. Nowhere for all those airplanes to go either.

There are several airports for sale around this area. Real estate prices have risen so much that there is no business case for buying them. The income is no where near enough to justify the price. The only way these will sell is if someone wealthy that flies buys it just for the fun of it, or a developer buys it and bulldozes it for houses.

Tony Long likes this.
  8. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Sorry to hear,I have a son in Charlotte. Property values are on the rise, so small airports suffer.

Tony Long likes this.
  9. snglecoil

snglecoil Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Chris
    Oh no! That airport played a major role in me becoming I'm a pilot...although I've never flown into or out of it. Back in the mid 90's after moving to Charlotte I was out on a drive one perfect, crisp fall morning. I was driving on Albemarle Rd and surprised by a small plane cross right in front of me a couple of hundred feet. I made the next available left turn the direction the airplane was headed and soon found Wilgrove. I pulled off the side of the road and watched this plane do 3-4 more laps around the pattern. I was hooked. I started my private early the next year.

I drove by the airport a few months ago and sadly, It was in pretty rough shape. With growth around the area, I'm sad but not I'm not shocked by it's fate. I'm definitely going to have to make a point of landing there in the next couple of weeks before it is gone for good.

woodchucker, Tony Long and TRocket like this.
  10. Southpaw

Southpaw Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ernest Taft
    We lost our local grass strip to lack of funding and activity . It is a county owned and with only occasion traffic it was leased out as horse pasture to a former county commissioner.
    The last active user moved his hanger and 150 to his home place about 5 miles from town.
    I remember back in the 40's there was a tar paper shack and a fellow giving flying lessons. When the Refinery folded in the late 50's population of town halved. Most the flying Farmers have passed on.
    There was never fuel service there. Just a nice 2 runway grass strip out in the rural Montana country side.
    But Ross International is still open . It straddles the US Canada border. They really do not like local traffic. No tower , no services , advance notification needed if for customs or immigration either side.

Tony Long and Stephen Poole like this.
  11. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    I was considering trying to get a bunch of peeps to meet up there. Maybe fire up the grill one last time.

Tony Long and TRocket like this.
  12. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    That would be great

Tony Long likes this.
  13. NealRomeoGolf

NealRomeoGolf Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    NRG
    You wanna buy 3A4 with me? :)

Tony Long likes this.
  14. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    I heard they were asking over 1m for that place. As a property investment it may be worth that, as a business there is no way. Add to that the runway needs to be re-paved 800k, All the hangars are pretty rough 500k+, and the FBO is trashed 1M. I think there are around 30 hangars for rent at $200.00 a piece for a monthly income of 6k. No gas revenue and not worth the EPA hassle and investment to install. How can someone pay the loan and live off 6k in income not counting taxes, upkeep and repairs.

It's sad but that's why most little airports go away and only tax payer owned ones or private strips remain.

Tony Long likes this.
  15. NealRomeoGolf

Display Name:

Display name:
    NRG
    So I take it that's a no? ;)

Tony Long likes this.
  16. Grum.Man

Grum.Man En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    lol if 1M was a drop in the bucket to have a cool place for my buddies to hang out I would be all in.

N63 and 6A5 are for sale
    8A7 comes and goes from the market.
    ZEF is one of those that sold to a wealthy person who did it just for the sake of aviation even though he looses money every year.

Tony Long likes this.
  17. Fallsrider

Fallsrider Pre-takeoff checklist PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    I would think that if $1M was frivolous money, "having fun" money, then it would be fun to buy an airport like that and run it just to be involved in aviation. Let's just say I have a long way to go before I reach that status!

18. NealRomeoGolf

Display Name:

Display name:
    NRG
    I peruse the airport listings from time to time dreaming about buying one. Don't have that kind of change though. 3A4 is in a spot I could commute to one of my company's offices. Ain't going to happen though.

Tony Long likes this.
  19. Tony Long

Tony Long Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tony
    Am sad as well. Got ticket there in 1989 with CFI Hank Dutch (rest in peace) sir. So much pressure with people wanting to live here the dirt has become too valuable for General Aviation. Many great memories

20. Tony Long

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tony
    Making memories at 8A6 in 2008. Intro to youth in C 205 Wilgrove 58Z   2008.jpg Wilgrove 58Z   2008.jpg

TRocket likes this.
  21. Tdaf22

Tdaf22 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tommy
    Oh man! I learned to fly and ultimately became an instructor at Goose Creek airport (28A) just a few miles southeast of here. I took my students weekly to practice at wilgrove! Sad to hear this news. I'd love to take the comanche back over there for old time sake before its too late.

TRocket and Tony Long like this.
  22. Tony Long

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tony
    So many memories at the round table. Missing you 8A6 Wilgrove Airport. Wilgrove 01182020.jpg

23. eman1200

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    check here

Tony Long likes this.
  24. smv

smv Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    Tangentially on-topic...

If you are using Garmin Pilot (on Android at least, no idea about iOS) and have airports marked as "Favorite", make sure you remove the "Favoite" designation from any airport that gets shut down. Otherwise during the next database update an error will be injected into your GP installation and it will crash any time you try to do a search for an airport. The only way to fix it is to get Garmin involved to clear data on their end (actually very easy and responsive) and do a "Clear Data" on the device. This will, of course, remove all of your downloaded data and customized settings. Fortunately, most of the data you create (Pilot, Aircraft, Waypoint, Logbook, etc) is backed up in the 'Cloud' so that is not affected...

Tony Long likes this.
  25. eman1200

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    don't think I've ever added an airport as a favorite in GP. how do you do it but more importantly why do u do it?

26. smv

smv Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    smv
    With the Airport Info page open, hit the star.

Screenshot_20200120-141132_Pilot.jpg

As to "Why?" Why does anyone have a favorite anything? ;) That or so it will be with easy "reach" (a couple taps vs typing in an identifier) at all times. GP holds all your favorites on a separate tab. Just another way to categorize your choices.

Screenshot_20200120-141420_Pilot.jpg

Tony Long likes this.