Another old guy starts training :)

SoartingEagle

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PirateDrew
I'm 65, retired and trying to get started on Ground School. Need some suggestions as to how to do this. I want to study for PPC but test for Sport Certificate. Don't have the patience to mess with a medical exam at this time. Want to do this through a Part 141 Ground School locally, but none available. So, trying to figure out how to do this through online ground school and book kit. Thinking Part 141 book/material Kit and online class. I've looked at Jeppesen, King, Gleim, ASA, Sportys. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks. :)

Mike--I've been reading your posts today about your experiences and really enjoying them. Happy to see your rapid progress. My problem is that I am retired and living on a below-poverty-level SSA income with a little money from my Mother. I can't afford a full-time instructor. I'm trying to find out how to do it online and with a book kit as much as possible and then work with an instructor occasionally. I'm really trying to find out if anyone can recommend a book kit and online course that might work for me. I probably won't be able to afford to finish up a Sport Certificate or PPC, but am willing to give it a good try just because I would like to learn about such flying stuff, am open to new challenges and always wanting to learn new stuff. I don't mind flying dual occasionally until I win the Lottery. :)

Welcome to the Blue Board, PilotDrew!

Back when I was studying for the written, I did it through King. They will sign off for you to take the test when you are ready. Some of the videos are a little on the "hard to stay awake" side, but that isn't because of the presentation as much as the material. If you are serious, I would recommend you just order the Sport Pilot kit. I got a new catalog in the mail today. The Sport Pilot kit is on sale for $499. King guarantees you will pass. You can study at your own speed and go back over material you didn't quite understand.

I would start with the pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge. Best part is it's free off the FAAs website. There's plenty of free material out there.

Thank you, SOMORRIS!!!!! I've looked at several and King is one of them. I've been told that they are pretty much all alike and good. I checked King and they have the PPC for $579 with the kit. It looks good and has many good reviews. I would have to do most of my flying in a non-LSA because the nearest one is about an hour away. I could make it sometimes but would have to do most of my flying in a Diamond DA-20 or -40 probably. This is a mess but it is the best I can do with my financial situation. Thanks for you input and happy flying----Drew :)

OkieAviator---thanks for that info. I haven't seen that and will check it out.

Mike--I've been reading your posts today about your experiences and really enjoying them. Happy to see your rapid progress. My problem is that I am retired and living on a below-poverty-level SSA income with a little money from my Mother. I can't afford a full-time instructor. I'm trying to find out how to do it online and with a book kit as much as possible and then work with an instructor occasionally. I'm really trying to find out if anyone can recommend a book kit and online course that might work for me. I probably won't be able to afford to finish up a Sport Certificate or PPC, but am willing to give it a good try just because I would like to learn about such flying stuff, am open to new challenges and always wanting to learn new stuff. I don't mind flying dual occasionally until I win the Lottery. :)

There are quite a few free options. freeonlinegroundschool.com I think that's right. YouTube has thousands of instructional vids for free. Also like Okie said, you can download books in pdf from the FAA. The Airplane Flying Handbook and The Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge are two to begin with. But there are books for other things too, like weather for instance. Before I found the money to fly, I used Microsoft flight simulator to get my fix. It did teach me a few bad habits that I had to break when I started flying, but it was worth it. Good luck, and let us all know how it goes or if you need any help.

I like the gliem products,if your going sport ,why not do the home study sport ground school. Sport is a lot of fun ,go out get an intro flight. Welcome to the board.

PirateDrew

Free online books from the FAA is the best way to start. The commercial training guides are outlandishly expensive when you consider all they're doing is repackaging the FAA material inmuch more glitzy format. True, the FAA stuff is dry, but it's what you need to learn.

Next, is there an EAA chapter nearby? If so, go to meetings, help the guys who are building, help out on the ground crew for Young Eagles. Most of the guys will be happy to offer you rides, too. Next, there's probably a CFI (or more) in the chapter and you might be able to work a deal on lessons.

Is there community college nearby with aviation courses? Many public schools offer courses for free for senior students over 60/62/65/somenumber as long as you don't want credit, just the learning.

You can't afford Sport Pilot either, good news is you don't have to. You can enjoy perfectly fun flying in a PT 103 Ultralight, no medical or certification of any kind and flying examples are available for $5000.

Back