Another non-towered AP deal

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Flying up to Portage on Friday, I had another reminder of why we need our eyes to be on swivels landing at non-towered airports. I land at quite a few and really haven't had much unusual happen until Friday.

Called 25 miles out and began monitoring CTAF. The FBO responded with winds and a welcome since they knew I was coming. It was severe clear. As I entered left traffic downwind for 17, I saw a 150 or 172 (white with red trim high wing) on final. He/she didn't respond to radio calls. The runway was overlaid with snow; so, the plane blended into the runway pretty well when it landed.

I called left base while the plane taxied down the runway toward the FBO. Watched it get over half way down the runway. I assumed it would turn off and either gets fuel, parks or at least clears the runway. Did my final pre-landing checks and turned final.

On final, I couldn't see the plane; so, I made another radio call. At about 400 feet, the FBO calls and tells me the plane is back taxiing down runway 17; so, I prepared to do a go-around. On 1/4 mile final, I couldn't see the plane; so, I initiated a go-around. The FBO said the plane had turned around again and was heading toward the FBO (would have been at the far end of the runway—which was not where I was focusing my scan for it).

After go-around, the FBO said the plane was taking off in the other direction using runway 34. On downwind, I finally saw him again--climbing and leaving the pattern.

Obviously, he/she wasn't using or monitoring a radio. What struck me was how difficult it was to maintain visual contact even when I knew he was there. The plane just blended right into the snow.

It's not like this was a real close call, but could have been had the FBO not told me what was going on!!

Best,

Dave

I think we've all seen that kind of stuff. There's no guarantee that he even has a radio, or that it works, or that it was tuned to CTAF...

Like you said, heads on a swivel!

I'm just glad someone on the ground was paying attention and stepped up to the mike and warned you. Crew Resource Managment goes well beyond the cockpit walls!

BTW, BTDT this fall. Had the plane I was following on final land, turn off the runway, then decide he wanted a different taxiway. He turned around and taxied back onto the runway -- with a flight of four on short final, and lead (me) in the flare.:eek: And no, he was not on the radio, either talking or listening.

Ron Levy said:
...Had the plane I was following on final land, turn off the runway, then decide he wanted a different taxiway. He turned around and taxied back onto the runway -- with a flight of four on short final, and lead (me) in the flare.:eek: And no, he was not on the radio, either talking or listening.
"Fox two on the moron re-entering the runway" ... or "guns". :mad:

Had the same think at Fond du Lac during Osh Kosh. A nordo Stearman landed ahead of me and stopped on the runway. Then he taxied in a circle on the runway and then he stopped again. Tower was frustratred as was I. After I went around the pattern again and landed he was still taxiing around the ramp rather aimlessly. I later heard he was looking for a chart so he could fly to OSH.

The diappearing into the snow is scary! I too am glad the FBO folks were paying attention.

Dave, your head was on a swivel, you knew where to look and still, but for the attentive person on the ground, it could have been worse. So how does head-on-a-swivel factor into this?

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly. Just giving everyone a heads up. Yes, I did see the traffic, but as the only crew member, I couldn't focus only on the other plane. Still had to look for other traffic and check all the plane's systems before landing.

As I said, the plane pretty well just blending into the snow covered runway; just couldn't locate it again.

You are very observent Richard! And, you are correct. Still, I was just pointing out how important it is to look for that guy that isn't talking to you on the radio. Of course, when you do find him or her, the issue then becomes one of keeping track of them. I think all of us have probably lost traffic after first seeing it.

Best,

Dave

Back