Another newsworthy aborted landing

Again, the media blows everything out of proportion. This happens every day, Boston Logan has been below minimums for two days with only CAT II or CAT III approaches available at some times and 100-200ft ceilings and RVR of about 4000ft at other times.

The pilot was doing what we pay pilots to do!

Don't inject logic and facts into it! The media makes money by scaring you, Ric Romero reporting.

Why on earth was this even mentioned in the media????

Is it the first time AF1 ever had to go missed???

Why on earth was this even mentioned in the media????

The media is whining probably so it'll apply pressure to the FAA and military to encourage not going around/missed in order to avoid being humiliated on the national news. Media pressure being what it is, they might eventually succeed.
Besides, if AF1 wouldn't have gone around and instead wadded itself up into a giant fireball, it would be the journalists ultimate dream assignment - ragging on the military, FAA, GA, ATC, aircraft manufacturers and generally having a no punches pulled field day in DC for the next several years.

The media is whining because they are as ignorant as everyone else. I've heard sheeple describe airliner go-arounds in breathless terms usually reserved for flaming death.

The media is whining because they are as ignorant as everyone else. I've heard sheeple describe airliner go-arounds in breathless terms usually reserved for flaming death.

And once it sinks in, we won't even get a "Never mind!"

This is where the story from Aunt Gracie goes, "AND THEN THE PLANE SUDDENLY MADE A LOT OF NOISE AND WENT UP AGAIN! I WAS SCARED TO DEATH!" ...and the engine stalled, too, right?

"...And THEN the pilot came on and said that we were going to try to land again. I almost passed out!"

Better that they do like the SWA pilots at Midway and put 'er done no matter what, even if it means ending up in Cicero.

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!

A MISSED APPROACH???????

THANK GOD THEY WERE ABLE TO FIND IT!!!!!!

If they had crashed, into an elementary school, during the day, hundreds of children could have died!!!!!!!

:mad2:

How did the media even find out? I'm sure someone broke an NDA to release it?

How did the media even find out? I'm sure someone broke an NDA to release it?
Someone was probably either listening to Liveatc.net or a scanner and heard it and called the news or started blabbing about on twitter and once the news got it, they started pestering the WH for details.

No wonder my phone call got disconnected...thought I lost signal but the press calling everyones third cousin must've bumped me:D
At least it was worthy of my inconvenience...

“It simply means that the pilot was uncomfortable completing the approach due to visibility, cloud ceiling, or any number of reasons," an aviation expert told ABC News.

I doubt "uncomfortable" is the best word to use to describe an AF1 pilot at minimums... and what qualifies one as an "expert"?

I doubt "uncomfortable" is the best word to use to describe an AF1 pilot at minimums... "?
According to the transcript, they didn't get anywhere near mins - they went missed after the intercept when they made the first contact with the tower.
and what qualifies one as an "expert"?
They stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once...

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!

A MISSED APPROACH???????

THANK GOD THEY WERE ABLE TO FIND IT!!!!!!

If they had crashed, into an elementary school, during the day, hundreds of children could have died!!!!!!!

:mad2:

And what if the plane was LOADED WITH EXPLOSIVES?

According to the transcript, they didn't get anywhere near mins - they went missed after the intercept when they made the first contact with the tower.

They stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once...
Probably did what I did at Winston-Salem the other day. Vectored to the final approach course 1500 feet too high and not enough time to descend to intercept the glide slope. Tried my heroic best, but all for naught. Went around and landed next time. And I got no write up at all. It is so not fair. Next time I guess I will just have to land no matter where I pop out of the clouds.:idea:

In all seriousness, from that transcript, it sounds more like they blew the intercept rather than a visibility/ceiling issue.

I was gonna say, it doesn't sound like a weather-related miss. I think both 121/135 aren't allowed to make a second attempt at the same approach if they missed due to weather, and I'm sure the USAF's protocol for flying the President and other VIP's around probably also contains an abundance of caution. OTOH, if the miss was due to either the pilot or ATC, then sure, c'mon back in.

Sounded like maybe ATC was trying too hard to expedite their arrival and maybe vectored them in a little too tight, since they offered to vector them in farther out the second time.

I think both 121/135 aren't allowed to make a second attempt at the same approach if they missed due to weather

Are you sure about that? I've been on some 121 flights that made multiple attempts/missed approaches due to Wx. One flight made 3 approaches into CVG before finally landing on the 3rd attempt.

I think both 121/135 aren't allowed to make a second attempt at the same approach if they missed due to weather
I can't speak for 121 but 135 has no such restriction unless some operator writes it into their FOM.

Back