Another Newbie Intro

BaronVonSnoopy

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
MichaelE
Howdy amigos. I'm just getting into flying and thought I'd join the forum to have something to do at work. ;)

Former Coast Guard officer here and I currently work as a Supervising Investigator for an insurance company. My wife and I had our first child, a son, about six months ago and he's pretty dang awesome. I have ridden/raced motorcycles for over ten years during and after College having some pretty cool adventures all over CA, Baja, NV, Pacific Northwest, etc. I always wanted to get my PPL but never had funds/time with motorcycling and establishing my career. Flying was always in my family growing up though. My Grandmother's brother flew Hellcats in the Pacific and my Dad was a commercial balloon pilot for many years. My Uncle also was an active private pilot for a long time.

Not to bore you too much longer, I sold my bikes before the kiddo arrived. We made some good money on our first house and bought a nicer one and now having some great flexibility at work and some good money set aside for flying I'm pursuing my dream.

I have an embarrassingly short logbook with four hours in a Challenger II and a few more in a C-172. I'm absolutely loving it! I'm excited to get some time in a SportStar in a couple weeks and get some more ground school under my belt with the rain settling in. Now that the holidays are over I'm going to try and average 2-3 hours of flying a week to keep things moving. My wife is very supportive (as much as wives can be) and I dream of owning a nice small family flyer in the next couple years.

Cheers!

Welcome to POA!

If you average two to three hours a week your training should move along quickly. Obviosly the more seat time the more you retain. Everyone hits learning plateaus, it happens, keep focused and you will work through them.

It’s a lways a good thing when the bride is on board. Good luck with your chase for the PPL.

Welcome Baron! I like that you can fly 2-3 times a week. That is ideal as you retain what you learned from the previous lesson and build on it during the following lesson. I have a student who is doing that and he is moving along nicely. A lot of great information, knowledge, and of course a lot of BS too here on POA. Quite a few motorcylists on here too.

Are you going for Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome POA!

Are you going for Sport Pilot or Private Pilot?

Therein lies my conundrum. I started training for Sport Pilot as it is quicker/cheaper to obtain but I don't think I would be happy just flying LSAs due to my goal of eventually taking the wife and kid along when he's older. I am kind of doing both simultaneously right now. Training with a CFI on the C-172 and a sport instructor on the Challenger/SportStar. Is there any advantage to obtaining both licences or is the SPL rendered moot once you have a PPL? I heard the FAA lets you count hours in LSAs towards a PPL and I'd like to train in as many aircraft as possible to diversify my experience. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Baron unfortunately I have zero experience with Light Sport. I think it's a decision you will have to make for yourself. I can see the benefit of both however. Good luck!

I'd go with PPL, gives you many more options. If cost is an issue, find somewhere that has some 150/152s for training.

Back