Another New Member Intro

hopmedic

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rich
Hi all. I'm Rich (I wish), in Oakwood, GA. Will be moving to Flowery Branch (5 miles down the road - closer to KLZU), as we're closing on a house tomorrow. I've posted a few times, but I guess I haven't done an intro, and since I saw one this am, I thought it might be a good idea.

I'm a member of EAA Chapter 690 (since December), and when I lived in IL I was a member of EAA 241 (2004-2008). I had let my EAA lapse when my job transferred me twice in a year and I didn't have time, but I just re-joined in December.

I've got a student certificate for Sport, and have logged 3.0 hours in a Fantasy Allegro 2000, but that was back in 2007, and haven't had the opportunity to fly since (I'm working on that). I have spent quite a bit of time in a friend's Cherokee with him back in IL, and a few other flights in a few other planes. Once we get closed on the house, I'll start saving again toward lessons, but at this point I don't know when I'll be able to get started. The sooner, the better, but we'll see.

One quick question - I've seen people post about the red board and purple board... What are they?

Welcome. I'm kinda new here as well, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here to harvest, which is not surprising considering the amount of fertilizer also present. :D

Welcome aboard, Rich (get it???)!

First there was the Yellow Board (AOPA's old board). It died a horrible and painful death, based largely upon the scale of personal abuse heaped upon its participants by a relatively small but very destructive few.

Pilots of America (PoA) was started right before the Yellow Board was shuttered, and became the haven of flawless aviation nirvana that it is today.

OK, nothing's perfect, but we are an aviation community founded upon the idea that we can discuss without abusing each other, and that seems to work pretty well.

The "Red Board" is AOPA's new board which sprung back up quite a while after the old yaller one was shut down. It is very busy and, to a large extent, has seen some of the same problems the old Yellow one had; it is very hard work for volunteer moderators to keep that in check, believe me.

The boards became known as the "Red" and "Blue" boards because the background color themes were... well, you get it.

The "Purple Board" sprung up later, as another alternative place to discuss airplanes. Yellow plus Red makes Purple.

Pilots of America is held in a non-profit corporation, so its continued existence without any person deriving personal gain will be assured.

Thanks, all, for the welcomes as well as the explanations. I look forward to learning as much as I can here. I will do my best to be as constructive as possible. ;)

Welcome. I'm kinda new here as well, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here to harvest, which is not surprising considering the amount of fertilizer also present. :D

That right there is the post of the day!!

Welcome aboard, Rich (get it???)!

First there was the Yellow Board (AOPA's old board). It died a horrible and painful death, based largely upon the scale of personal abuse heaped upon its participants by a relatively small but very destructive few.

Pilots of America (PoA) was started right before the Yellow Board was shuttered, and became the haven of flawless aviation nirvana that it is today.

OK, nothing's perfect, but we are an aviation community founded upon the idea that we can discuss without abusing each other, and that seems to work pretty well.

The "Red Board" is AOPA's new board which sprung back up quite a while after the old yaller one was shut down. It is very busy and, to a large extent, has seen some of the same problems the old Yellow one had; it is very hard work for volunteer moderators to keep that in check, believe me.

The boards became known as the "Red" and "Blue" boards because the background color themes were... well, you get it.

The "Purple Board" sprung up later, as another alternative place to discuss airplanes. Yellow plus Red makes Purple.

Pilots of America is held in a non-profit corporation, so its continued existence without any person deriving personal gain will be assured.

Spike did you flunk art in elementary school? Red and BLUE makes purple , Red and Yellow makes orange. Someone grab that old Texan a box of crayolas!

Rich welcome to the best aviation board out there! Hope you stay learn and enjoy. We have a member or two in GA.

That right there is the post of the day!!

Yeah, I guess I'll have to stick that into my sig for a little while. :rofl:

Spike did you flunk art in elementary school? Red and BLUE makes purple , Red and Yellow makes orange. Someone grab that old Texan a box of crayolas!

Brain-toot time.

Whaddya expect from a danged lawyer? :rolleyes:

Brain-toot time.

Whaddya expect from a danged lawyer? :rolleyes:
Danged (or was that Deranged?) lawyer or not, Spike is one of the good'uns. Rich, welcome to PoA! With all the fertilizer around these parts, we're BOUND to keep growing! LOL!

Last edited:
Welcome. I'm Flightmedic. We also have a flyingmedic. You're Hopmedic. What the hell is a Hopmedic?

Welcome. I'm Flightmedic. We also have a flyingmedic. You're Hopmedic. What the hell is a Hopmedic?
Part of my last name, and used to be a paramedic. ;)
Been using that screenname since 1997 - it has NEVER been taken by anyone else.

Last edited:
Back