Another new icon

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
May not be new to everyone, but I just saw it today. It's not in the legend on ForeFlight yet, haven't checked my copy of WingX yet. Take a look at KCFO, XMR, KMAF, KMHV and a few others. I was surprised to find one in Alaska, PSCA.

I’ve seen the rocket icon before but I was surprised to see one at KCFO. I thought they were not going to have any vertical launches there, only spaceplanes (or, in reality, only a meaningless spaceport designation and why ever tax or grant benefits come with it). Why do spaceplanes warrant a rocket symbol?

I’ve seen the rocket icon before but I was surprised to see one at KCFO. I thought they were not going to have any vertical launches there, only spaceplanes (or, in reality, only a meaningless spaceport designation and why ever tax or grant benefits come with it). Why do spaceplanes warrant a rocket symbol?
The plan, or alleged plan, is horizontal launch - the spacecraft attached to an airplane (A320 last I heard) that takes the spacecraft to a specified altitude at which time they separate, the spacecraft hits the rocket motor button and away they go. Not orbital, but sub-orbital for quick trip to Asia and Europe.

Back