Another new guy!

crawdaddyjc

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
crawdaddyjc
Hello all! Another new guy just starting the whole PPL process. Tons of info to go through.
Been cruising around this site for a while, recently registered, and now making an intro post.

I have been around aviation my whole life. My old man had his ppl and was also the pilot for a parachute club. My step dad has his ppl and has spent his life in the air. He is one of the main reasons i have descided to dive in! I have been in and around quite a few different aircraft. I can do straight and level flight and turns but never performed a take offor landing. I was avionics tech in the navy. Currently fly my drone as a hobby. Just completed aviation 101 course online for Embry-Riddle.

My plan is to setup and get my student certificate and schedule my discovery flight. Hopefully at the same time schedule a medical consult (on site AME) to make sure all is good to go. (Good health and no past issues) but as im 45.... better safe than sorry! Once that is good to go i will complete the Sportys ground school and schedule my written. Then start all the flight training. After completion i hope to get my complex and hp signoff- then complete ifr. With the hope to evenyually purchase a grumman aa5 or bonanza.

So far i have enjoyed this site, learned a lot, and look forward to meeting and chatting with everyone! One day i hope to go to Oshkosh or Fun N Sun.

Good idea to get a medical consult early!

Once that's done, any reason not to do ground school and flight training at the same time, in parallel? I think it can work really well to have one complement the other: theory, and then practice. Read about something, and then experience it with the real thing. You can take the written at around the halfway point, or when cross-countries are starting. Just a thought; good luck!

Kath- no particular reason for not doing ground/flight together or seperate. Right now i am just trying to figure out the best path in regards to time, money, and any other variable.
Thanks for the feedback!

Welcome! I went to Embry-Riddle as well (BS Aeronautics) and I actually fly drones for work! My dad was the inspiration to become a pilot as well.

SixPapaCharlie-
I took my wife skydiving for her birthday this year... she said “one and done”!
Me on the otherhand.... i have a list of dropzones i want to visit!

I've ridden in a powered parachute and parasailed.
That's enough chute time for me.

Welcome! I'm also a new user and this is my first post! It sounds like you have a lot of bright plans for 2019. I've been a CFI since 2004 and I currently fly a Gulfstream G-150 professionally. There are a lot of experienced wise aviators on this website so be sure to reach out to the community for help. My goals this year are to get type certified on the G-550 and I'm hoping that I'll get to fly an ocean crossing. I suggest that you make detailed plans for milestones that you want to hit with dates to hit them by and that you run a detailed budget for all of your plans. Don't hesitate to reach out for help!

Chris

My PPL training was some of the most fun flying I ever did because my cousin was my instructor and we got to spend a ton of time together. Soak it up, and enjoy the process. Read all you can and watch tons of YouTube videos!

Back