Another near MAC with Chicago Center. Now with piston planes

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
The incident occurred at 11:44 a.m. Saturday when a four-seat Cirrus SR22 plane that had departed the Tri-County Regional Airport near Lone Rock, Wis., came within 500 feet vertically of a Cessna Caravan 208 turboprop plane en route from Midway to a private airport in Leeward County, Wis., 13 miles northwest of Lone Rock.

FAA safety regulations require at least 1,000 feet of vertical separation and at least 5 miles laterally between aircraft. The lateral distance between the two planes was 2.8 miles at the closest point, FAA spokesman Tony Molinaro said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servi...19nov19,0,3651999.story?coll=chi_tab03_layout

I wonder if I should tell them that we can get a lot closer than that VFR when we don't have ATC providing separation. I certainly have gotten that close a few times.

Clearly, if the plane only has propellers it's simply not a professionally used aircraft. It's just another play toy. You have to have a "jet engine" to be taken seriously.

So, the 208 is merely an expensive play toy. :yes:

At least it has a cockpit "the size of a small sedan."

The 208 does have a jet engine.
I know. That's why I put it in quotes. The uninformed focus only on the propeller.

The latter quote was taken from an anti-GA article discussed here a while back.

Clearly, if the plane only has propellers it's simply not a professionally used aircraft. It's just another play toy. You have to have a "jet engine" to be taken seriously.

That's right, and it's more dangerous, can't fly through clouds, and it's a GREAT idea to ask the pilots "when they get to go to jet training to fly a real plane like that" [said while pointing at a CRJ 100/200...of course something we all strive to].

I've gotten a hellofa lot closer than that as an IFR a/c passing a VFR a/c at 500 feet over the same point in space, at least a dozen or so times. Must'a been a REALLY slow news day to hit this one.

Must'a been a REALLY slow news day to hit this one.

It seems the media is focusing a lot on the Chicago airspace as of late.

ABC nightly news did a report this past week, and of course some of the national outlets pick up the AP story and put the local spin on it - i.e. Boston's many runway incursions, controllers facing retirement and not enough new recruits to replace, etc. etc. etc.

On aspect one of the reports focused on (I think it was the ABC report) was the fact that our ATC system is still a Human system and that we all make mistakes, just some can have a larger impact than others.

On aspect one of the reports focused on (I think it was the ABC report) was the fact that our ATC system is still a Human system and that we all make mistakes, just some can have a larger impact than others.

Wow, that's an absurdly broad statement if I ever heard one. I suppose all controllers should be computers (cause they never crash anymore), all pilots should be computers (cause then airplanes will never crash anymore), and all doctors...well...I guess we won't need doctors because everyone will be a robot or just not allowed to leave their house for fear of making a mistake. Sounds like quality editorializing there.

It seems the media is focusing a lot on the Chicago airspace as of late.

ABC nightly news did a report this past week, and of course some of the national outlets pick up the AP story and put the local spin on it - i.e. Boston's many runway incursions, controllers facing retirement and not enough new recruits to replace, etc. etc. etc.

These two stories came from Chicago because there's some controller in the Chicago TRACON who is talking to John Hilkevich of the Chicago Tribune. The rest is the usual deal where the rest of the media reads the paper to us. (I get amused when the morning TV news tells me what I read yesterday on the web and Fark...and when the newspapers pick up stories even a few days later.)

The ATA is still saying this, and the airprot delays, are all because we need a more modern air traffic system. As Bruce said, a given runway can have a landing every minute, no matter how much you can pack the airspace you aren't going to increase that runway capacity. So we still have airlines scheduling 15 arrivals at the same time and blaming everyone but them. :mad:

Back