Another Mystery Airplane

Everskyward

Experimenter
Display Name

Display name:
Everskyward
Actually, I think I have a pretty good idea what it is, although I'm not sure, so guesses are welcome. The mystery to me now is, how did they fly the airplane and shoot the gun at the same time. :confused:

This was among a number of interesting vehicles that showed up at the airport today. :yes:

Last edited:
Everskyward said:
Actually, I think I have a pretty good idea what it is, although I'm not sure, so guesses are welcome. The mystery to me now is, how did they fly the airplane and shoot the gun at the same time. :confused:

This was among a number of interesting vehicles that showed up at the airport today. :yes:

I think I read something about this in my aviation business class last year. If I remember correctly, this was one of the first designs that incorporated a weapon onto an airplane. The pilot would stand up and fire the gun and then sit back down and fly the plane. Unless this is something else. I have some written stuff about it if it is, and I'm going to go find it now.

Steve said:
That's what I had guessed too, but only because I had a list of airplanes that were supposed to be there and used process of elimination.

Great links! I learn something new every day. :yes:

Stacey,

There are a bunch of SE5's based at Platte Valley, 18V. I see them when I fly there for fuel. The first time I did that there were two in the pattern and I thought I had entered the "Twilight Zone" and did a time warp thing. Very cool. Was this one out of Platte Valley?

P.S. There was a Twilight Zone episode where a WWI fighter shows up at a modern day (well early 1960's modern) airbase and the pilot is interogated by some AF or RAF officers, he then escapes and goes back to his own time.

I'm not sure where this airplane was from. They brought in many cool old and new airplanes and cars for this event at Centennial today.

http://www.morganadamsconcours.org/

PS. I should probably tell you that I'm not Stacey (that would be Speed). I'm Mari, the other Denver woman.

Actually Mari, you had to have one very long arm to fire the gun and fly the plane at same time. Dave

Everskyward said:
PS. I should probably tell you that I'm not Stacey (that would be Speed). I'm Mari, the other Denver woman.

Sorry! I'll remember that. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm home with the freaking Flu, and live very close to Centennial. I should have known when two Spitfires flew in formation right over my house. Darn, should have been there.

BTW, I'm Anthony, the only one in Denver. :)

Looks like a Camel to me. Please correct me if I am wrong for I look at the Neiwport and can see so many simularites. Snoopy would love it. Yes it was a very long reach to the the Lewis above the wing. Imagine over 80 years ago and how far we have come in technology.

John

Last edited:
Anthony said:
I'm home with the freaking Flu, and live very close to Centennial. I should have known when two Spitfires flew in formation right over my house. Darn, should have been there.
Here's a picture of one of the Spitfires (the 2-seat one). The Red Baron was there too, and for something more modern, the new Adam jet.

Get well soon!

Everskyward said:
Here's a picture of one of the Spitfires (the 2-seat one).

Get well soon!

Thanks Mari. I've seen that 2 seat Spit before at Centennial. I think he's based in Aspen, but gets his maitenance done at Centennial. There was a AOPA "Pilot" article on the plane and owner a few years ago.

The worst thing about being sick is that its a weekend and I can't fly. :(

Anthony said:
Thanks Mari. I've seen that 2 seat Spit before at Centennial. I think he's based in Aspen, but gets his maitenance done at Centennial. There was a AOPA "Pilot" article on the plane and owner a few years ago.

That Spit is for sale and has been the my airport for the last 6 months. Been several photo shoots. I think I heard 1.3 million an it is yours.

Eric

ejensen said:
That Spit is for sale and has been the my airport for the last 6 months. Been several photo shoots. I think I heard 1.3 million an it is yours.

Hmmm only $1.3MM? Getting my check book out now.

Back