Another Mystery Aircraft

NC Pilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
NC Pilot
OK, here is a plane on the other end of the technology spectrum from the last. What is this one?

grandpa.jpg

BTW, the guy holding the cigarette is my grandfather.

NC Pilot said:
OK, here is a plane on the other end of the technology spectrum from the last.
This one is at least sitting on wheels.:rofl:

Is it a SPAD? Other than that no clue, cool picture though.

possibly an SE-5...hard to tell without seeing the nose.

Attachments

• Old Rhinebeck 005.jpg
    Old Rhinebeck 005.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 12
Steve said:
possibly an SE-5...hard to tell without seeing the nose.
SE-5 doesn't have the rear gunner/bomber station. That's a hint. Here is another photo of the same type of plane.

oldplane2.jpg

I think it is a Breguet Br. 14 prototype flew 21 Nov 1916......:dunno: 8000 where built according to my book.

Last edited:
CLAUDE MALET PHOTO
No. 2796. Breguet Bre.14
Photographed at Cerny, France, June 2003
2796.jpg

ok its a Breguet BR14B2!! I did not know but was interested enough to look on the web. I found this tidbit at

http://www.greatwarflyingmuseum.com/aircraft/france/breguet_br14b2.html
breguet_br14b2_pic.jpg

The Breguet Br14 was one of the most widely used two-seater aircraft of the First World War, with most of the Allied powers making use of it in either its reconnaisance ( A2) or bombing (B2) variants. There are many visual differences between the two types, with the most obvious being the addition of 'windows' on each side of the observer's cockpit on the B2. SPECIFICATIONS Country: France Manufacturer: SA des Ateliers d'Aviation Louis Breguet Type: Reconnaissance (A2) and Bomber (B2) First Service: Summer of 1917 Number Built: 5,500 Engine(s): Renault 12 Fox, 12 cylinder, liquid cooled inline V, 300 hp Wing Span: 47 ft 1in Length: 29 ft Height: 10 ft 10 in Empty Weight: Gross Weight: 3,892 lb Max Speed: 110 mph mph @ 6,560 ft Ceiling: 19,030 ft Endurance: 2.75 hours Crew: 2 Armament: 2-3 machine guns
661 lb [300 kg] of bombs

Steve said:

That's correct. My grandfather flew in the 96th Aero Squadron and flew the Breguet 14 B2 (the bomber version). It was largely constructed of metal that made it lighter and able to sustain more damage than the other planes of the day. If you look at the lower wings you will see the flaps are deployed on the ground. These were pulled down by elastic cords that were adjusted for the weight being carried and as the plane picked up speed the flaps would "retract" to reduce drag.

A pretty advance aircraft for it's day (much better than the DH4) and it was produced until 1926.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Mark your grandfather was a pilot? So was mine. :)
Yep, WW1. Stopped flying after the war. :dunno:

What a great piece of history Mark!
Was your Grandad from France?

CapeCodJay said:
What a great piece of history Mark!
Was your Grandad from France?
No, he was an American and flew with the other American fighting for France. He loved the Breguet and said it was a much better plane than the DH4.

Many good stories about flying in the Great War when I was a kid.

Back