Another MU-2 down in Colorado

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I just heard on the local news another MU-2 went down near me, just south of Centennial airport (APA). One went down earlier this year near the same area. The weather here is low vis and rain, but there is no report on the cause or if there are injuries. The press reported it as a cargo plane.

Also, the company that owns the plane operates out of my home base, Front Range. It is also the company that owned/operated the other MU-2 that went down earlier this year. I taxi by there hangar every time I depart FTG. Sigh.

Last edited:
I think one crashed earlier this year in the Portland, Hillsboro area of Oregon. Four people killed.

When I heard it first thing this morning they were still looking for the plane. Found it a 0645 MDT. From Denver Channel 7:

Cargo Plane Crashes Near Centennial Airport

Aircraft Wreckage Found after 4-Hour Search

UPDATED: 9:10 am MDT August 4, 2005

DENVER -- Search crews have found the wreckage of a plane that crashed near Centennial Airport early Thursday morning and said the pilot did not survive.

Searchers are looking for a Mitsubishi MU-2, like this one.

The aircraft is a 1981 turboprop Mitsubishi MU-2 cargo plane, according to authorities.

The plane was attempting a landing about 2 a.m. and disappeared from radar.

A Denver Police Department helicopter spotted the wreckage at about 6:45 a.m., in an area south of the airport. Recovery crews reached the location a short time later, using ATVs.

Except for the tail and one engine, the plane was "pretty much smashed to bits," said Andy Lyon of South Metro Fire Rescue.

Heavy rain created muddy conditions that hampered efforts to locate the aircraft.

"The terrain itself is rugged -- lots of gullies and shrub oak -- but also it's very wet and our air support has very low visibility," said Becky O'Guin, a public information officer for the Parker Fire District.

Only the pilot was aboard the plane, authorities told 7News.

The plane is registered to Flight Line, Inc. in Watkins, Colo., according to aircraft records obtained by TheDenverChannel. A plane owned by the same company crashed last December near Centennial Airport, killing two people.

Flightline officials declined comment on the crash.

Mitsubishi MU-2 cargo planes are used by businesses for light cargo and typically carry a crew of two.

Back