Another mid-air.

Can you be more specific? They seem to crash all the time. Well, at least thats what AOPA told me when I called for a quote on one and was told it was $4k a year on an $175k SR22 I was looking at.

They wanted $1k/yr for not-in-motion only on my $40k 172. I promptly went elsewhere and found full coverage that was far cheaper than their NIM only.

I had a very close call back in 1995, Spearfish, SD.

Uncontrolled field, with a balloon flight area. Well after announcing and looking to see if there were aircraft in the pattern I took off. About 400 ft agl I see a balloon in my flight path. Not sure how I missed a balloon crossing the pattern, I pulled up and made a right hand turn, just missing the balloon. I could see the whites of there eyes.

Don't know why FBO did not give me a heads up about a balloon operating that day. Also don't know why the balloon pilot did not have a hand held to announce itself
icon9.gif

Jesus Christ Superstar. Reread this. You are placing responsibility on everyone else. The responsibility for not flying into a balloon in uncontrolled airspace rests with one person and only one person. Sigh.

Uncontrolled field, with a balloon flight area. Well after announcing and looking to see if there were aircraft in the pattern I took off. About 400 ft agl I see a balloon in my flight path. Not sure how I missed a balloon crossing the pattern, I pulled up and made a right hand turn, just missing the balloon. I could see the whites of there eyes.

Don't know why FBO did not give me a heads up about a balloon operating that day. Also don't know why the balloon pilot did not have a hand held to announce itself
icon9.gif

Greg- Not sure were you are coming from. The balloon was crossing the end of the runway a place he was not suppose to be. I said I did not see it, did not blame anyone. It would have been nice for the FBO to inform me of balloon activity.

Last edited:
Bill.....that's insane. I can't even imagine what was going through you mind when you saw that. I'll bet the balloon pilot was thinking he's about to be coyote chum.

Uncontrolled field with a balloon flight area and you were surprised to see one? Why would the FBO even know a balloon was launching? And why would a FBO want to open traffic advisory can o worms?

...a CFI and student out of FDK in a CFIT crash a month later...
I missed this one, or at least that it was an airplane out of FDK. Cruising down the Shenandoah Valley in the dark at 3000' (below the ridges on either side), to an airport at 3700'. Gold Seal CFI, ATP, etc. Hard to comprehend the flight planning process.

Unit 74 - very surprised had been renting and flying out of the field for over a year and never saw a balloon in the area.

Greg- talked to the owner of the balloon, we both agreed it would not have ended well and he does inform the FBO when he fly's. My instructor at the time had me lower the nose slightly at 300 ft to have a good look around. It paid off that day.

Last edited:
I have no experience with a Pitts, but that seems dangerous to be flying a pattern that is unpredictable to the many (including myself) unfamiliar with its flight path. Cannot the descent rate be arrested with a little power on final? Is there a reason that such a steep approach must be used? Understand these are questions from someone who is ignorant, not someone asking pointed questions in accusatory fashion.

I was wondering the same thing myself.

icon9.gif

We had a glider meet at our un-controlled field so I was very careful to announce my every move on unicom.

I don't know if the gliders were using different frequencies, but when I pulled out onto the taxiway here comes a glider right over my head about 50 feet up going the opposite direction landing.

No one ever said a word. :dunno:

Back