Another METAR question

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
What's the bold part mean?

[FONT=Monospace,Courier]KBOS 211254Z 29024G36KT 10SM FEW050 M01/M12 A2972 RMK AO2 PK WND 29040/1217 SLP063 CI DSNT N-E T10061117[/FONT]

Wow, talk about an insanely obscure reference. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

Wow, talk about an insanely obscure reference. I don't think I've ever seen that before.

It's not often you see it, but occasionally you do. Just another one of those things.

Not of much help to us, since cirrus clouds are usually found up high and are mainly comprised of ice crystals, as you already know.

It is of great help when you put it in context...are the CI a cap to a building Tstrm? Do they imply a line of Tstrms? Do they signal an approaching front? What are the expected winds? So on and so forth.

It is of great help when you put it in context...are the CI a cap to a building Tstrm? Do they imply a line of Tstrms? Do they signal an approaching front? What are the expected winds? So on and so forth.

Yes, but putting it into context with the other observations and forecasts for the area would yield a less exciting answer as of present. Definitely agree it can be used to supplement forecasts of the activities you described.

If you are going to use aviation weather services (note lower case), get a copy of Aviation Weather Services, (AC 00-45F). The "insanely obscure" abbreviations are defined in appendix B. It is available online through the FAA home page, although it is a humonguous file to download.

Bob Gardner

If you live in a dry part of the country you shun the constantly blue skies and cling to the hope that one of those clouds a hundred miles away will come by and give you some rain!
Oh, wait. That's Boston, isn't it?

If you live in a dry part of the country you shun the constantly blue skies and cling to the hope that one of those clouds a hundred miles away will come by and give you some rain!
Oh, wait. That's Boston, isn't it?

har har

If you are going to use aviation weather services (note lower case), get a copy of Aviation Weather Services, (AC 00-45F). The "insanely obscure" abbreviations are defined in appendix B. It is available online through the FAA home page, although it is a humonguous file to download.

Bob Gardner
393 pages. Almost 14 MB. It's a very good reference.

Back