Another Logging PIC with no BFR

brcase

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
Didn't want to clutter up the other thread, it is already going downhill fast.

So a Private Pilot, Glider pilot shows up and want to get his Airplane Single Engine Landing Rating. However he as not flown a glider for more than 2 years and does not have a current Flight Review.

We train up to solo and when he is ready to solo I sign him off per FAR 61.31(d)(2)

Can he solo without a Current Flight Review?

Didn't want to clutter up the other thread, it is already going downhill fast.

So a Private Pilot, Glider pilot shows up and want to get his Airplane Single Engine Landing Rating. However he as not flown a glider for more than 2 years and does not have a current Flight Review.

We train up to solo and when he is ready to solo I sign him off per FAR 61.31(d)(2)

Can he solo without a Current Flight Review?

You are certifying by endorsing under 61.31(d)(2) that he has completed the training required under 61.107(b) (that's the part where it says "training under this part") to act as PIC for in an airplane solo operations toward an additional rating. I'm sure that would suffice. It's not an endorsement to go fly a glider.

It works all the time with long not flying many years powered pilots come to gliders. You are not certifying him to fly a glider, you are certifying that he knows what he needs to know to fly the airplane.

This is only my opinion as a glider instructor.

Back