Another legality question - this time, towpilots

geoff, i ran across those too when researching this subject. neither of them address the situation where the private pilot is getting paid.
Right -- and that's the point. It's only OK if the tow pilot isn't receiving compensation other than loggable time.

Follow up question:

This has been quite an exercise in interpretations, research, and discussion on what I expected to be a simple question. Suppose, in the future, a pilot were to run across another regulation that was ambiguous enough that it took 5 pages of forum postings to decipher. If that pilot wanted to get the FAA ruling, what is the process? Write to the FSDO first? Write to the General Counsel? How is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Matt

Follow up question:

This has been quite an exercise in interpretations, research, and discussion on what I expected to be a simple question. Suppose, in the future, a pilot were to run across another regulation that was ambiguous enough that it took 5 pages of forum postings to decipher. If that pilot wanted to get the FAA ruling, what is the process? Write to the FSDO first? Write to the General Counsel? How is it supposed to work?

Thanks,
Matt

The issue with writing to the FSDO is that such an opinion is not binding on the FAA. Only the Chief Counsel can do so.

You can fax a letter to the Chief Counsel, and get an answer in about 4 months...

That said, be careful what you wish for in terms of such interpretations. I'll bet I'm on a hit list with companies like ATP for asking the Chief Counsel to clarify the XC rules for Safety Pilots (now only one pilot can log XC...so no more time-building flights for IR where both pilots log both PIC and XC time), and Mangiamele absolutely gutted 61.113(b) business flights, so you won't always get a good answer.

Sorry for digging up an old post.

Because we started up towing at our local club again last weekend, and because I like to find accurate information when I search old threads for helpful info, I wanted to bring this particular thread back up.

The link below can be found in another thread on POA, but not on this one.

One can read back through this thread and the opinions therein, and then the opinion from the FAA, particularly the last paragraph.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...interpretations/data/interps/2010/Umphres.pdf

Tim

:wink2:

Thanks for the update - I'm the OP and I've already seen thie FAA ruling, but there are probably a lot of people who have not.

Back