Another Kidney Stone question

U

Unregistered

I had a kidney stone episode almost two years ago. The stone passed and the KUB my GP ordered once the stone was gone showed that everything was clear. Fast forward two years too today. I have been thinking about starting learning how to fly and I have read that the kidney stone could be a problem with the issuance of a third class medical. What do I need to do before scheduling the appointment with the AME? Do I need to go get another current KUB before going to the AME, and is there any type of workup testing (blood draws, urineanalysis testing) that needs to be performed. Another question I have is how will this affect the possibility of a second class medical at a later date?

2nd class, ureter-lith resolved, confirmed by cat scan, considered resolved by FAA, no follow up necessary is what I was told.

Plenty of us have had kidney stones - I had mine the day after my PP checkride.

A clean KUB, showing no residual stones, and a note from the urologist that included the composition of the stone and what I was doing to prevent a recurrence were all I needed (I think that was all, it was a while ago). An AME will let you know - don't do anything you don't need to do, some tests and scans are much more sensitive than others and might show something that a KUB won't. Get AME advice first (and you probably will, on this board), and you shouldn't have any problems.

Get your family doc to write the following:

"Episode of stone passge two years ago, confirmed to be stone free by negative KUB AFTER stone passage. Sincerely, Dr. ABC".

That will do the job.

Is there a time trigger on how long ago a stone was? I'm working towards getting into a flight program. My stone is now almost 4 years ago. Is that something that I should do the same with the GP that you advised? I will have to probably pay for an x-ray out of pocket, one was not done on the stone. When it passed, I was just released from the ER. But I will do what is necessary.

There is no time limitation. Stone disease is mostly metabolic, and the only time you get is after you are proven stone free, until the next one occurs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back