another itunes Q - re: security

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
as soon as I loaded on the newest version of trend-pc cillin (security for laptop) it won't let me upload the latest version of itunes. I frankly don't care which version I have - but I cannot now download a song I like b/c it requires me to DL the latest itunes to buy it.

how do you get around this? either itunes side or the security side? (I assume it's the security thingy on the laptop doing it...)

woodstock said:
as soon as I loaded on the newest version of trend-pc cillin (security for laptop) it won't let me upload the latest version of itunes. I frankly don't care which version I have - but I cannot now download a song I like b/c it requires me to DL the latest itunes to buy it.

how do you get around this? either itunes side or the security side? (I assume it's the security thingy on the laptop doing it...)
You have to upgrade iTunes if you want to download a song from the iTunes Music Store. The new version has the current *ugh* DRM.

Can't you disable pc-cillin temporarily while you let iTunes upgrade?

Otherwise you could always see if you could download the song from the Russian mob: http://www.allofmp3.com

BTW, I have refused the iTunes upgrade for quite a while. The new version had problems but I understand they fixed 'em.

what will allowing DRM on my computer do to it? will this affect anything else - including any CDs I may put on?

those bastards. they don't even tell you this.

it's too late I fear, as I finally got it to download.

woodstock said:
what will allowing DRM on my computer do to it? will this affect anything else - including any CDs I may put on?

it's too late I fear, as I finally got it to download.
It only puts DRM on music you downlaod from the ITunes Music store. It doesn't protect the music rip from CDs.

iTunes tells you you have to upgrade because the newest version of DRM on downloaded music only works with the latest verion of iTunes. I've figured that they must update your exsisting downloaded music but I haven't found any proof of that. I dunno how they can say you can't play your existing music without upgrading, which is what the message says, if they don't mess with it. Once again, I own no music from the iTMS.

Microsoft's Windows Music Player for the Zune does put DRM on music ripped from CDs until you disable the option. They say that's there to prevent you from sharing music you own over wireless. Don't want THAT.

woodstock said:

No, it doesnt do that. Well, iTunes/iPod doesn't. DRM ("Digital Rights Management") allows you to only play the song on a certain number of computers or burn the same CD a certain number of times. They had to do that so the record companies would agree to sell their music that way. I'm surprised it's as lenient as it is. The record companies are the real bastards.

Now, the new Microsoft "Zune" player WILL put DRM on YOUR music. And it won't play podcasts. I hope it dies its deserved quick death.

Does anyone have an older version of Itunes exe file; I need to reinstall.

Back