Another IT guy lost to Aviation

kaiser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
The pilot formerly known as Cool Beard Guy
Since I’m in IT, I feel obligated to change careers into aviation, since that is all the rage.

I was recently blessed with the opportunity to fly for money in my debut in the professional world. I’ve been toying with the idea of “retiring to go fly right seat on jets” for about 4 years now, but only started making it a serious objective the last two years. As I still have a day job, I’ve been making myself available on a contract basis since [on the pilot side] I’m basically worthless by monetary terms and the family still needs to eat.

This all came about through good old fashioned dumb luck and great timing/networking. One of my neighbors works at a local company that owns a 2021 PC12 NGX that flies owners, company personnel, as well as charters out via local 135 outfit. They sometimes have a hard time finding qualified pilots to fly their missions.

There’s only one pilot employed and full time to the plane and on the insurance and he’s trying to retire. So there’s a few of us newbies he takes on certain trips to get us experience in how they want to operate. It’s a pretty nice move as the idea there will be enough of us so that as contract pilots we won’t feel obligated to take every trip.

The PC12 NGX is an absolutely insane bird. The amount of automation is quite intense. We’re talking full FADEC engine + auto throttle, really good FMS & autopilot, synthetic vision, good TCAS, etc. I have several hours in it now, as well as a couple approaches, though only 1 take off and 1 landing - and it may have been a 4 handed landing haha. I’ve hand flown the short and empty legs (though still with auto throttle). It’s surprisingly easy to hand fly. That being said it’s surprisingly difficult to taxi straight. Maybe I need tips from @Dave Theisen or something. From the right seat I feel like I’m S turning down the entire taxiway. I suspect I’m looking too close in - we’ll see.

As far as my venture into the pro world, I’m still at least a year or so away from 135 PIC mins so will likely carry the day job to then. I have started my CFI and will aim to achieve that early next year.

Here’s some drool pics for everyone.

IMG_3472.jpegIMG_3473.jpegIMG_3478.jpegIMG_3477.jpegIMG_3511.jpegIMG_3516.jpegIMG_3521.jpeg

That’s awesome! I’d be keen to join part time, I don’t need pay or benefits, just pick up any food drinks hotel and I’m more than happy.

Lol... I'm also in IT and looking for the same thing... retiring from IT and flying right seat until I can't pass 1st class anymore.

Sweet and congrats. Though I’m not in the IT space, I’m doing the slow slog to CFI/II over the next few years to start part-timing while wrapping up my second career.

We’re in right-sizing mode next year and as an internal consultant, at least I have a nice severance package that would accelerate the transition and go down the full time/pro path.

Oh man, you could fit a lot of camping gear in one of those!

It’s no 195.

efb6d6e3a5d81039fb352fd0ec1b68c7.jpg

Very nice! Can't wait to hear about your future adventures!

Good luck! The NGX, like all of the PC-12 variants are great airplanes. Don’t worry, you’ll get the hang of it real soon. To me, the biggest improvements they made with the NGX are the FADEC fuel control (much cooler starts, even on quick turns) and the much improved air conditioning. The auto throttles are a bit of overkill. I really only use it on descents and arrivals. The FMS mode, while cool technology, really isn’t practical in the real world. It makes it a system that is supposed to reduce your workload can end up increasing it.

Love to hear it. Great machines. I've had the privilege of flying s/n 7 all the way through the serial number range up to picking up the newest delivery from Pilatus USA in Colorado. I agree with the above for the autothrottle FMS mode...not particularly comfortable. If you ever get in a jam and fly older machines or you want to learn this thing the right way without the autothrottle, 15psi clean config straight and level = 150 kias. Going down the chute on an approach with flaps 15 and gear down, you're flying a PC12 so set 12 psi. Guess what, 120 knots! I just love these airplanes. Enjoy it!

Well, I’m retired, and could probably find time in my comsulting work to fly some part time contract flying. What’s the minimum time to fly right seat? Ive got 1500 hrs, IFR rated, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week.

Dis
Well, I’m retired, and could probably find time in my comsulting work to fly some part time contract flying. What’s the minimum time to fly right seat? Ive got 1500 hrs, IFR rated, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn last week.

I mean you do deserve something for dealing with the holiday inn.

Has anyone ever left the airlines for an IT career?
Maybe this guy:

Most of the country is worried about losing jobs to Mexico, India, or China. I’ve got to worry about a bunch of middle aged IT guys coming after my gig! :)
Idk I watched the YouTube Air India no fuel no ILS landing, don’t think the jobs going anywhere just yet.

Since I’m in IT, I feel obligated to change careers into aviation, since that is all the rage.

I was recently blessed with the opportunity to fly for money in my debut in the professional world. I’ve been toying with the idea of “retiring to go fly right seat on jets” for about 4 years now, but only started making it a serious objective the last two years. As I still have a day job, I’ve been making myself available on a contract basis since [on the pilot side] I’m basically worthless by monetary terms and the family still needs to eat.

This all came about through good old fashioned dumb luck and great timing/networking. One of my neighbors works at a local company that owns a 2021 PC12 NGX that flies owners, company personnel, as well as charters out via local 135 outfit. They sometimes have a hard time finding qualified pilots to fly their missions.

There’s only one pilot employed and full time to the plane and on the insurance and he’s trying to retire. So there’s a few of us newbies he takes on certain trips to get us experience in how they want to operate. It’s a pretty nice move as the idea there will be enough of us so that as contract pilots we won’t feel obligated to take every trip.

The PC12 NGX is an absolutely insane bird. The amount of automation is quite intense. We’re talking full FADEC engine + auto throttle, really good FMS & autopilot, synthetic vision, good TCAS, etc. I have several hours in it now, as well as a couple approaches, though only 1 take off and 1 landing - and it may have been a 4 handed landing haha. I’ve hand flown the short and empty legs (though still with auto throttle). It’s surprisingly easy to hand fly. That being said it’s surprisingly difficult to taxi straight. Maybe I need tips from @Dave Theisen or something. From the right seat I feel like I’m S turning down the entire taxiway. I suspect I’m looking too close in - we’ll see.

As far as my venture into the pro world, I’m still at least a year or so away from 135 PIC mins so will likely carry the day job to then. I have started my CFI and will aim to achieve that early next year.

Here’s some drool pics for everyone.

View attachment 121814View attachment 121815View attachment 121816View attachment 121817View attachment 121818View attachment 121819View attachment 121820
So what’s the demand for IT dudes? Say ya go for it. But then it isn’t working out like you thought it would. Money, working conditions, effect on lifestyle, ……. whatever. Can you call the old boss up and go back? Get a job with someone else and reset? Do you have a piggy bank set aside to cover things while these transitions may be happening? I guess in short I’m asking is this a do you have to burn bridges behind you type of thing

At my IOE for Ameriflight, my training captain spent a lot of time whining about "all the IT guys stealing the pilot jobs" out there. I was 40 and about to fly a Be99 and somehow he did not put it together that I might have done other things with my time beforehand. I parked my BMW next to his dodge neon.

I kept my sinful tech history quiet. :)

Grats on the gig!

Ich bin neidisch. Congratulations. Since these types of opportunities don't exist much where I live and I'm not currently willing to move, my thought was to fly the PC12 for PlaneSense and deal with the crappy commute. Probably won't happen. At least my switch to consulting seems to be working so far.

Has anyone ever left the airlines for an IT career?
Yep, I know a couple. Aviation is a great career, until it isn't. Both are my age, meaning that they attempted an aviation career during probably the worst time in history with a glut of senior pilots that had tons of time left before mandatory retirement. They would be sitting pretty now. But they had families to raise and wanted both immediate IT money and not to be sitting FO with bad schedules for a decade and a half before they could be home, like, at all.

To be clear, I support all my friends going the other direction and have no reason to believe the industry will be messy again anytime soon. But it is a fact that for 20-30 years or so, it was a long slog to any kind of premium pay or job satisfaction. Probably the next time it could happen would be if the various governments ever authorized single pilot. We're a long way from that being technically feasible, much less trying to sell it to the general public.

Was there some big negative change in the IT industry, or are you guys all just having your midlife crisis at the same time? :p

(j/k - welcome to the party!)

Was there some big negative change in the IT industry, or are you guys all just having your midlife crisis at the same time? :p

a lot of companies, like a good portion of society, have completely lost their freakin minds and are making it the most unfun to work for. tack on bs like Agile and it becomes a place you simply hate being at.

Thanks all!

So what’s the demand for IT dudes? Say ya go for it. But then it isn’t working out like you thought it would. Money, working conditions, effect on lifestyle, ……. whatever. Can you call the old boss up and go back? Get a job with someone else and reset? Do you have a piggy bank set aside to cover things while these transitions may be happening? I guess in short I’m asking is this a do you have to burn bridges behind you type of thing
These are the key questions I’ve been managing really these past two years. This is where I suspect everyone’s paths diverge significantly, as it really is unique depending on whether you’re early or late career. IT is still in high demand. I’m in IT risk, and we can’t hire enough. If I left and came back, it may cost me either a couple rings on the ladder, or a couple tiers for the company. Absolute worst case I go back into consulting.

For the transition, my slower pace is primarily as a result of the financial considerations. The goal is to cut over when the family income stream is minimally impacted. The first gate for this will be next fall when my wife will start her next career. That combination of incomes would still cut my flying budget but our lifestyles would still be similar. Then the math is whether to cut over immediately as an 850/900hr (by then) 135 SIC or stay in the day job waiting for 1200/1500. Cutting over would increase the flying hours above what I can self-fund.

A new possible option now would be to fully attach to this plane and once I hit the 135 PIC mins, take over all of its flying and then manage it as well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Haha thanks! It might be different for others - but I’m tired of the constant insane workload days where you accomplish nothing and get to expect the same for only another 27.5 years. I have days where I finish up in a cold sweat and heart pounding - and I’ve been sitting at my desk all day! I like to equate it to hand flying through MOD-SEV turbulence with all the warnings flashing at you, half the systems and the FO is dead and slumped over .. for 14 hours a day, 5-6 days a week. Then the boss comes over the radio and says “just push another 1-2 years”. (Real quote) The running joke for our group is that we’d gladly take 1/2 the pay for 1/2 of the work.

That’s awesome! I’d be keen to join part time, I don’t need pay or benefits, just pick up any food drinks hotel and I’m more than happy.

I would be willing to do the same.

…making it the most unfun to work for.…
There’s a lit of BS I can out up with, having done a .mil career, but the sclerotic approach we’re taking to RTO is frustrating. Traditionally, we’ve been pretty flexible on in-office requirements…be here when you need to be here/big buy approach. As of June, in-office attendance has become a condition of employment. Currently 12 days/month, starting Jan 1, 16 days/mo.

The rationale is that socializing with co-workers is more valuable than productivity, so lots of emphasis on social activities and F2F meetings. The decision to go deskless without a reservation system “was made to support the flexibility needed to get to know one another.” 90% of the people I support and 56% of my team are in campuses in another state or pure remote. I don’t particularly enjoy dragging all the crap (video is mandatory in meetings now) around like a homeless dude pushing a shopping cart while avoiding the little red wagons some are using to haul their portable offices around in.

So I play the game knowing our corporate footprint has gotten smaller and headcount has gotten larger and just wait for this place to turn into what the commercial air travel experience must be like. At least our severance package is sweeting up as the next round of layoff planning gets underway.

I would be willing to do the same.
Let me briefly respond to this and @mandm . This whole thing almost didn’t happen because they wanted to hire me though the 135 side. The 135 side was interested but hesitant because of my contract status, they were concerned they wouldn’t get ROI from sending me to sim school and 135 checkrides if I’m contract 1-2 days a month. I assume their idea was to use me on their other equipment full time - which was 8/8. This only was made possible after the owner/91 side said “hey, I thought I sent you this guy” and basically forced the issue.

I do see this scenario and ROI question as a barrier to entry in general. I don’t know the industry enough whether contract pilots can offer a lower rate for a fixed period of time to sweeten the deal? (That’s my consultant response and am not sure if this is taboo in aviation since I know pay and not working for free is extremely important to maintain) It seems to only be an issue for young pilots starting off I think.

Back