Another Interesting St. Maarten Landing

I'm at a lowly Wholly Owned right now. :D

Our aircraft can do LPV, VNAV and CDFA. However, we're blocked by our POH from using VNAV, CDFA, and LPV on landings. It's either ILS or dive and drive...

Trust me I wish we could do it! It would save the: Autopilot ALT, V/S -1.5, ALT, V/S -1.5, ALT, V/S -1.5 crap all the way dow!

Can you do circling approaches?

A FedEx guy on another board suggested that they may have been cross-controlled when they broke out and what we see could have been relaxing those inputs as they began the go-around sequence.
Hmm. Any chance they were a little high out there and were slipping it a little to get it down? Do you guys flying those big things ever do that? Yeah, probably a stupid question but when I saw "cross-controlled," had to ask.

It's been known to happen. I have also been told that the airframes are not stressed for slips although I can't see how that is possible.

It's been known to happen. I have also been told that the airframes are not stressed for slips although I can't see how that is possible.

I can't imagine they aren't stressed for slips considering we do it all the time when landing in a xwind. If a 45kt xwind doesn't put some stress on the plane I don't know what would.

That being said I'm sure you agree we don't really ever "slip to get down". If it got to that point we're so far out of our stabilized approach criteria it's not worth the save.

Why are all those people on the beach in that weather? Do they have no life?

A FedEx guy on another board suggested that they may have been cross-controlled when they broke out and what we see could have been relaxing those inputs as they began the go-around sequence.

I just watched it again and it definitely could have been a poor transition from a crab down final into the wing-low slip to line up for the flare.

That being said, it definitely looks to me like there is a move to try and fix it right at the end after getting blown well off the centerline, followed by abandoning that course of action a second or two later.

Hey whatever breaks up the monotony of finger-fornicating an FMS for a living, more power to ya. I say no-flap Touch n go's on every deadhead/depot repo flight for all my brothers; hand-flown or you're a ***sy. Be glad you're flying the sexy seven-nickle and not some stretch-Guppy POS, so make it count! LOL :D

Was it a navy guy diving for the deck? Gotta keep the boarding rate up dontchknow...

Hey whatever breaks up the monotony of finger-fornicating an FMS for a living, more power to ya.[/MEDIA]

Hey man, give us airline guys some credit - in addition to the FMS, I frequently finger-bang the MCP, occasionally the ACP, and depending on whether I'm doing the flying or not, diddle the PTT trigger every so often!

Btw, this is the actual video of the 757 go-around on YouTube:

Other than being on youtube vs facebook, what's the difference between the two videos to make the second one the "actual" one?

Is there any way to get audio of an international flight/ATC at St. Maarten?

It used to be on liveatc.net, but the transmission seems to have ended.

Is there any way to get audio of an international flight/ATC at St. Maarten?

Last edited:
Glad i wasnt sitting in the back while all this was going on! I hate flying commercial.

Hey man, give us airline guys some credit - in addition to the FMS, I frequently finger-bang the MCP, occasionally the ACP, and depending on whether I'm doing the flying or not, diddle the PTT trigger every so often!

Your PTTs often move both directions even! More practice. :)

I can relate. My only visit there was a one-day stop on a cruise ship. After a 45-minute taxi ride from the pier, here's how I spent my once-in-a-lifetime day at Maho Beach:

At least the beer at Rick's isn't too insanely expensive...as long as you like Carib!
carib_lager_beer_greace_kennedy_belize_02_jpg_12654.jpg

RNAV 10 missed approach point is 2 miles from the runway at 700 agl (3deg). Visibility minimum is also 2 miles. Gotta see the runway or its lights at the MAP and thereafter to continue. You think these guys had the runway in sight at 2 miles? They were misaligned to the right on short final but there was little or no wind.

RNAV 10 missed approach point is 2 miles from the runway at 700 agl (3deg). Visibility minimum is also 2 miles. Gotta see the runway or its lights at the MAP and thereafter to continue. You think these guys had the runway in sight at 2 miles?

This was an old Airways bird, so they didn't have GPS and I assume they were on the VOR approach, but to your point, I can't imagine they'd continue if they didn't have it in sight at mins. Regardless, there's no way to *know* unless we were up there with them, and as someone that's been falsely accused more than once of going below mins by someone that wasn't there, I tend to give others the benefit of the doubt.

No GPS on these birds? Man, somebody set up a gofundme for poor little AA, so we can get these guys a 430W. :D

^^^ I think most pilots would rather fly a clapped out 757 than a brand new dog**it performing 321, which is what AA has been steadily replacing them with. Could be worse, they could be replacing them with 737-900s I suppose.

No GPS on these birds? Man, somebody set up a gofundme for poor little AA, so we can get these guys a 430W. :D

In my airline's airplane, it is easier to fly an ILS or other ground-based NAVAID approach than do all the FMS-gynmastics to set up and execute an RNAV approach.

And...pilots are lazy.

Back