Another Guy Asking for Buying Suggestions

Four adults and bags for 3-4 days? I'm thinking older Piper PA32 Cherokee Six. The retractables that would haul that much are out of the OP's price range (and probably most Cessna 206's, too). You might get that with a Piper 235 Cherokee or Cessna 182, but take a good look at the actual W&B data to make sure it really will hold the four adults you're planning to haul (that could be well over 800 lb in some cases or under 650 in others) plus that baggage and enough fuel to make the legs you want, and as noted above the back seats in some of those 4-seaters are pretty tight for 21st century "full-sized" adults.

Last edited:
Gotta admit, I'm starting to lean toward the Grumman Tiger. I like the idea of the 6 but a fair amount of the flying will be done with just the wife and I. When I need to get 4 of us in it, seems like filling to the tabs gives a pretty good useful load. Most of my trips are about an hour each way.

I was over at the FBO last night and a fella flew in with one. It was gorgeous. Seems like sliding back the canopy would be nice in the South Florida heat.

Many choices out there. What it really comes down to is fuel burn. Most of the 180 hp to 260-300 hp singles will cost close to the same to maintain. That extra fuel burn of the 260-300 hp engine will be there every flight. So will the roomy cabin. It's a choice you have to make. Be sure to have your wife try out the plane for comfort and feel.

Gotta admit, I'm starting to lean toward the Grumman Tiger. I like the idea of the 6 but a fair amount of the flying will be done with just the wife and I. When I need to get 4 of us in it, seems like filling to the tabs gives a pretty good useful load. Most of my trips are about an hour each way.

I was over at the FBO last night and a fella flew in with one. It was gorgeous. Seems like sliding back the canopy would be nice in the South Florida heat.

Agree. Especially about the wife. It's certainly a give and take. I do continue to go back and forth. I'm working on setting up trial flights and hopefully that will lean me in a direction.

Back