Another GPS interference test

chemgeek

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
chemgeek
https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2018/Nov/FDNY_18-77_GPS_Flight_Advisory.pdf

Great. Another GPS interference test, 5 days long, one day notice. Looks like several going on at once around the country. This one will wipe out all usable approaches to our airport and affect GPS nav over a wide swath of central and northern NY. Impact is larger for commercial air.

Next gen is GPS centric but these outages reduce reliability and can have serious economic impact. I know those in the SW have had it worse.

Yep, the pilot has gotta go back to navigatin' when the GPS quits navigatin'. I didn't go into flyin' to have to do any work.....:rofl:

Once flying near the White Sands restricted area my GPS quit giving me guidance. I knew what was going on and was prepared for it, so I asked the controller if he can tell those guys that their jamming is working. Usually they practiced jamming at night.

I wonder how the future is going to work as well. The FAA is slowly reducing the ground based navigation system to a bare minimum necessity. We are becoming so dependent on GPS navigation in aviation and other industries, but it is such a fragile and easily disrupted system.

Had a scheduled loss of GPS last week. It was localized south of Eglin AFB. (USAF Armament Test Ctr)

Bob

No worries, they are making sure the “terrorists” couldn’t jam our GPS lol

You feel “safe” right?!

So why does this happen?? What are the testing?

And the only decent alternative long range navigation system (LORAN-C) was decommissioned by the same gov that now thinks maybe GPS is too vulnerable and there should be a backup!!

We are becoming so dependent on GPS navigation in aviation and other industries, but it is such a fragile and easily disrupted system.
Thus the need to test how systems perform when GPS is jammed ;)

Nauga,
buzzed

Last edited:
Thus the need to test how systems perform when GPS is jammed ;)

Nauga,
buzzed
Wait, did I write that? I don't recall writing that and I couldn't find the post above.. weird

Nevertheless, there's a certain manly essence of having an old school INS

GPS vulnerable? No more so than a crippled, bleeding, wildebeast calf blundering into a lion pride group nap. . .a car battery and $20 in parts are sufficient to jam GPS over quite a few square miles.

I imagine no one has shown much interest in doing so, to-date, and that a single instance could be located and disabled in a few hours. Other elements of the system may not be so secure, either.

If/when it gets clobbered, then it'll get some attention.

Wait, did I write that? I don't recall writing that and I couldn't find the post above.. weird
Whoops, sincere apologies. I think I had you in a multi quote and then poorly edited it down to the quote in question with your tag still attached. I corrected it.

Nauga,
proofred

So why does this happen?? What are the testing?

Well, there's lots of stuff used by the military that depends on GPS. Remember the drone that the Iranians captured by spoofing GPS? So they need to test how the backup systems (which are sometimes people) work when GPS doesn't. Also, how to tell that GPS isn't working.

So they are testing whether their drone pilots check the notams?

Can't tell whether this post was tongue in cheek or not, but just in case it wasn't: Imagine that your enemy decides to jam (or better yet) spoof GPS. Will they be polite enough to issue NOTAMs? I'd think not... so in that case, how do you tell your nav system is lying to you?

Back