Another GoPro Effort -- From Under the Wing

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQLl74NaCA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In this one, I managed to get the 16:9 size and 1080p resolution set correctly. Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Unfortunately, the combination of the wide angle lens, and the wider screen, accentuated any movement. This is most noticeable at low altitude in the bumpier air, and is mildly annoying. It disappeared in the smoother air at altitude.

Sadly, the GoPro battery died again after less than 30 minutes, causing us to miss the landing. I'm starting to think I've got a faulty battery, and have contacted GoPro for warranty replacement.

Shakes more under there. If you are going to keep it there keep an eye on that rib

Shakes more under there. If you are going to keep it there keep an eye on that rib

I will be moving it again. I'm thinking mounting it on top of the wing, aimed forward or out, will be cool.

It would be nice to do an aerial tour of the island chain without the plane itself blocking the field of view.

I still haven't figured out where to mount the GoPro IN the cockpit. I've seen enough head-mounted videos to know that it makes me motion sick to watch, so that's out.

I wonder if the suction mount would work on the inside of the curved canopy? Prolly not.

I will be moving it again. I'm thinking mounting it on top of the wing, aimed forward or out, will be cool.

It would be nice to do an aerial tour of the island chain without the plane itself blocking the field of view.

I still haven't figured out where to mount the GoPro IN the cockpit. I've seen enough head-mounted videos to know that it makes me motion sick to watch, so that's out.

I wonder if the suction mount would work on the inside of the curved canopy? Prolly not.

Anyway to fabricate some sort of rigid mount to your seatback that would put the camera above your head, but below the canopy. Eliminate the head motion, but still allow the back seater to fiddle with it when needed? You do have roll bars in your plane, don't you?

Jay I think you will do better if you mount it facing a little more forward.

Much better than the top of the wing (except for the vibration). Looks like beautiful weather and the HD quality looks terrific!

Now if you could turn the camera 45 Degs to the right I think it would look even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIQLl74NaCA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In this one, I managed to get the 16:9 size and 1080p resolution set correctly. Thanks for the helpful suggestions!

Unfortunately, the combination of the wide angle lens, and the wider screen, accentuated any movement. This is most noticeable at low altitude in the bumpier air, and is mildly annoying. It disappeared in the smoother air at altitude.

Sadly, the GoPro battery died again after less than 30 minutes, causing us to miss the landing. I'm starting to think I've got a faulty battery, and have contacted GoPro for warranty replacement.

Best yet.

Nice vid... 1080 (or even 720) is all you need, 14K is a waste of battery and memory.

On your "battery" problem... I'm wondering if it's a file size limit? The GoPro used to record about 4GB (half hour), then create a new folder/file and continue. Have you looked at all files and folders?

Are you using the WIFI ?
That maybe the reason for short battery life .
Fully charge your battery then take the battery out of you camera till you are ready to tape and don't turn wifi on see what happens .
I get close to 1.5 hours out of my battery this way . By the way, beautiful video.

For the island tour, mount it in the tail facing backwards, then reverse it in post!

I mounted three of 'em on the inside of the P51 canopy with suction mounts, they were very solid. One up top, two on the side. The one on top didn't even come off after landing when the front-seater started to crank the canopy back without warning me and whacked me in the head.

Could it be mounted facing forward at the top of the vertical stab? Some light acro, etc. would be pretty awesome from that vantage point...

Very cool videos, btw. I'd love to try it someday, but am clueless about the editing part. I like your choice in music for these vids too.

Could it be mounted facing forward at the top of the vertical stab? Some light acro, etc. would be pretty awesome from that vantage point...

Very cool videos, btw. I'd love to try it someday, but am clueless about the editing part. I like your choice in music for these vids too.

Thanks. I would LOVE to put the GoPro up on the tail, but haven't gotten 'round to bringing the big ladder to the hangar. Another advantage of the -8 over my -8A is you can reach the top of the vertical stabilizer without a ladder! :lol:

I don't even know what I'll find up there. Hopefully some screws to help stabilize the camera mount, but if not, then what? RTV? :goofy:

Re: The music. I've tried to find a way to contact Dwayne O'Brien about using his cool music in these videos, but he seems to have dropped off the face of the planet. Anyone got a contact for him? I really like his stuff -- Song Pilot is one of my favorite flying albums -- and don't want to violate any copyright laws.

Nice vid... 1080 (or even 720) is all you need, 14K is a waste of battery and memory.

On your "battery" problem... I'm wondering if it's a file size limit? The GoPro used to record about 4GB (half hour), then create a new folder/file and continue. Have you looked at all files and folders?

Remember that the Wifi reduces the battery life exponentially. I would only get 30-45 min with Wifi

Remember that the Wifi reduces the battery life exponentially. I would only get 30-45 min with Wifi

Yeah, GoPro emailed me and said basically the same thing.

Too bad -- the WiFi remote control is what makes the GoPro awesome, IMHO.

Gonna have to connect it to ship's power somehow...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

Yeah, GoPro emailed me and said basically the same thing.

Too bad -- the WiFi remote control is what makes the GoPro awesome, IMHO.

Gonna have to connect it to ship's power somehow...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

Well, I did some video without using the WiFi controller -- and got over an HOUR without the battery dying. It is definitely the WiFi sucking the battery down so quickly.

Too bad.

Back