Another GNS430 Database Update Thread...

AU_James

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
I throw my hands up- I've got nothing. And yes, I've searched previous threads and other sites.

TL;DR--can somebody PLEASE provide current links and a step by step process to go from GNS 430 with old/expired databases to being able to use my Mac to get the updates and install them on my GNS 430?

--

I bought an IFR capable plane with a GNS 430 (non-WAAS). The databases were old, but that didn't bother me at the time since I was a VFR only pilot and knew I could update the databases later. Well, later is now and I'm so frustrated at the process.

I went to Garmin (site), and they said that because I have a Mac I can't use their software.

Ok, I was thinking of going straight to Jepp anyway.

I search their site for "GNS 430" and nothing comes up. I search for "database" and only a few things come up. I go through PoA to older threads on this topic where helpful folks have provided links and simple steps to others who have run into this issue. Those links (now) take me to a Boeing page with what seems like a random assortment of products completely unrelated to database updates.

I search Boeing. The only database products I can find are for other parts of the world. EVERY other part of the world, actually. I eventually search for "JDM" on the Jepp site and I think I find the software I'll need on my computer (and it's Mac compatible!!).

I download the software, and the app doesn't launch. Restart my computer (even though it doesn't run Windows and that seems like predominantly a Microsoft fix). Program still won't work.

I go back to the website. I go to create an account to perhaps unlock something I've been missing. I fill out a "new registration" page with all kinds of details just for a page to come up saying I already have an account for my email address. I use all kinds of possible and likely passwords to no avail. I request a password reset but never get an email to reset the pw. My account is locked now (even though I don't remember ever creating one for either Boeing or Jepp).

It all seemed so simple before. Buy the adapter, download the software, buy the database update or subscription, download the databases, put the card into the adapter and connect to the computer, update the cards, put the cards in the plane, then legally and safely fly approaches.

Now? I can't even find where Step One begins. All my aspirations of using my plane to fly in clouds are being dashed!

Ok, a little bit exaggerated there but I hope my frustration gets through and somebody can help!

Jeppesen Distribution Manager and Skybound are what you are looking for. I have the USB adapter and software. I’m a Windows person but I’m pretty sure it worked on my Mac before it went belly up due to persistent virus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You can download JDM here. You need the Skybound adapter to write to the cards. It's ideal to have two cards so you can load up one at home and then exchange cards in the airplane at the airport. The Garmin subscriptions are signficantly less expensive than the Jepp subscriptions. You may find it cost effective to get a used or refurb Windows laptop just for the purpose of loading your data cards. Or, you can install Windows on your Mac and run it in dual boot or emulation mode. I don't own a Mac, so I don't know if the Garmin software will run in Windows emulation, but I'm sure someone on the board may know.

The JDM works on a Mac you have to purchase a device from Jepp.

The JDM works on a Mac you have to purchase a device from Jepp.
I have not found this to be the case. I always used my son's PC. How did you do it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back