Another getting an A&P thread...

FlyingIsGood

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingIsGood
The other thread mentions becoming an A&P apprentice. Is that a feasible way to get an A&P these days?

If so, does anyone have any leads - even part time - in the Houston area?

The wife and I are currently making some life moves, and it may be a good opportunity for me to start looking into something I feel may be more fulfilling personally. I'd rather be around aircraft all day than staring at a computer screen. Perhaps it won't replace my current gig right away, but because I'm self-employed and set my own hours, I am able to be available for other opportunities.

I'm not afraid of grease, wrenches, or labor. I've spent nearly as much time pulling pipelines under rivers and roads as I have telling companies where to find customers.

Any ideas?

Apprenticing is a very viable way to get a mechanic certificate. It is how I got mine, and of the people I prepped for the practical test with the majority of them got the required experience working in a shop. The rest got theirs via military experience.

With so few tech schools offering a program that qualifies you to take the exams these days I see apprenticing as being the only realistic option. Hopefully you can find a shop that is willing to help you get started.

That's how I got mine. Started as a ramp rat, got called into the shop to help, worked with others while I learned the fine points. I already had lots of automotive experience so it was easy to catch on. Three years later took the tests.

I've been trying to figure a way to get mine, where I live makes it a royal pain.

Best bet is a community college program

Second is the apprentice route, gotta be employed and have lots of documentation if I understand and if the guy decides after all that time to not sign you off because you tick him off or whatever reason, your F'd

The other thread mentions becoming an A&P apprentice. Is that a feasible way to get an A&P these days?

If so, does anyone have any leads - even part time - in the Houston area?

The wife and I are currently making some life moves, and it may be a good opportunity for me to start looking into something I feel may be more fulfilling personally. I'd rather be around aircraft all day than staring at a computer screen. Perhaps it won't replace my current gig right away, but because I'm self-employed and set my own hours, I am able to be available for other opportunities.

I'm not afraid of grease, wrenches, or labor. I've spent nearly as much time pulling pipelines under rivers and roads as I have telling companies where to find customers.

Any ideas?

Near Hobby. http://www.aviationmaintenance.edu/

I understand they have a night program.

Last edited:
Near Hobby. http://www.aviationmaintenance.edu/

I understand they have a night program.

At $20-$25k a year, I'd prefer an apprenticeship and spend that money on finishing up an engineering degree. :wink2:

Amidst everything else I've had my hands in, I've been elbow keep in various automotive/motorcycle projects (including air-cooled VWs - carbed and FI), and about 30% of a plans-built experimental. I think picking up aircraft related stuff shouldn't be too big a stretch.

Like everything else aviation related, I've just got to find a way in the door.

Check your local community colleges, WAAY less, 4kish a year.

I've been trying to figure a way to get mine, where I live makes it a royal pain.

Best bet is a community college program

Second is the apprentice route, gotta be employed and have lots of documentation if I understand and if the guy decides after all that time to not sign you off because you tick him off or whatever reason, your F'd

Personality conflicts can happen however that is not always the end of the story. As long as the inspector reviewing your documents is satisfied you get to test.

There isn't that much documentation necessary. If you have a mechanic that you've been working under he can write a letter of recommendation stating the dates you worked for him and have it notarized. That's all you need. Now if the mechanic that you are expecting to give you a letter gets mad or dies and you don't have any evidence that you worked for him, that is another story.

Check your local community colleges, WAAY less, 4kish a year.

Local community colleges are only offering "Aviation Management" programs. I can't believe there aren't aviation maintenance programs around here... there are dozens and dozens of airports!

Either way, I'd rather spend those two years hands-on in a shop.

There isn't that much documentation necessary. If you have a mechanic that you've been working under he can write a letter of recommendation stating the dates you worked for him and have it notarized. That's all you need. Now if the mechanic that you are expecting to give you a letter gets mad or dies and you don't have any evidence that you worked for him, that is another story.
Just like everything else a FSDO does there seems to be a lack of standardization when it comes to what is required. I would get it in writing as to what type of documentation is acceptable.

Just like everything else a FSDO does there seems to be a lack of standardization when it comes to what is required. I would get it in writing as to what type of documentation is acceptable.

Seems pretty clear in the 8900.1

8900.1, Vol.5, Ch5, Sec2

5-1135 EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS. Section 65.77 requires the applicant to have documented practical experience in maintaining airframes and/or powerplants. At least 18 months of practical experience appropriate to the rating requested is required. For a certificate with both ratings, the requirement is at least 30 months of experience concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both ratings. If the applicant has not met the required 30 months concurrently performing the duties appropriate to both ratings, calculate each rating separately using the 18-month requirement for each.

NOTE: Applying for ratings separately will result in no less than 36 months total requirement for both ratings.
A. Practical Experience. The practical experience must provide the applicant with basic knowledge of and skills in the procedures, practices, materials, tools, machine tools, and equipment used in aircraft construction, alteration, maintenance, and inspection.

E. Part-Time Practical Experience. During the evaluation of part-time practical aviation maintenance experience, the applicant must document an equivalent of 18 months for each rating individually, or 30 months of experience for both ratings. This is based on a standard work-week that has 8 hours per day for 5 days per week, or a 40 hour work-week, or a total of approximately 160 hours per month. The time is cumulative, but the days, weeks, and months are not required to be consecutive. The practical experience must be documented.

I understand that improper documentation could cause me issue, but I imagine if I had a personality clash with whoever I'd be apprenticing under, I'd have that nailed down pretty early on.

Also, I'd very likely keep records of whatever I did as an apprentice, just as I keep records for many other aspects of my work.

I'm more interested in getting my foot in the door. I'll handle the ups/downs as they come - no use freaking out now about all the possible outcomes.

If anyone has any legit leads in the Houston area, I'm all ears.

Seems pretty clear in the 8900.1

8900.1, Vol.5, Ch5, Sec2

It doesn't sound to me that just a letter cuts it then. I can easily see where detailed work sheets documenting hours and what was done during each of those hours might be required by one FSDO while another might care less and accept less.

It doesn't sound to me that just a letter cuts it then. I can easily see where detailed work sheets documenting hours and what was done during each of those hours might be required by one FSDO while another might care less and accept less.

If that's the case, then do the former and you're covered. Needless to say, the better your documentation the less to question.

If the engineering degree is the long term goal you may want to focus on that. I got my A&P at the local community college back in the early 1990's and graduated in the middle of a huge recession. It was two years of full time school. After that, I worked in aerospace on and off for a couple decades until I finished my mechanical engineering degree. I wouldn't say I regret getting the A&P, it helped sell myself as a project engineer in aerospace. An engineer with wrench time is worth his weight in gold, and earns respect on the shop floor. My only regret is delaying the long term goal of getting my engineering degree.

I got my A&P with my military experience, 4 yrs active and 10 yrs reserve USN.

I would suggest calling the local FAA office and scheduling an appointment with an inspector. He / She will can go through the requirements and the documentation. I would think they could give you some sort of spread sheet as to the number of hours needed to be covered on each subject.

They may even be able to give you contacts as to FBO's they have worked with in issuing other applicants test approvals.

Hope this helped, good luck.

I would suggest calling the local FAA office and scheduling an appointment with an inspector. He / She will can go through the requirements and the documentation. I would think they could give you some sort of spread sheet as to the number of hours needed to be covered on each subject.

They may even be able to give you contacts as to FBO's they have worked with in issuing other applicants test approvals.

Just something to remember here, the guidance (8900.1) doesn't require a breakdown of task, only a cumulative record of hours working under the supervision of an A&P. My advise is to keep it generic and non specific and follow the order.

FWIW

If the engineering degree is the long term goal you may want to focus on that. I got my A&P at the local community college back in the early 1990's and graduated in the middle of a huge recession. It was two years of full time school. After that, I worked in aerospace on and off for a couple decades until I finished my mechanical engineering degree. I wouldn't say I regret getting the A&P, it helped sell myself as a project engineer in aerospace. An engineer with wrench time is worth his weight in gold, and earns respect on the shop floor. My only regret is delaying the long term goal of getting my engineering degree.

The engineering degree is a long term goal, but I could work on both concurrently if I was under an apprenticeship for the A&P stuff.

Being in the aviation world, even turning wrenches, would probably help me network a lot better with the engineering world versus what I do now, so I'd like to get my foot in the door.

And I understand the regret. I should've finished way back when, but didn't because the money was just too good at the time. Now, I'm trying to set myself up for a more stable future, and aligning myself closer to aviation may help me achieve the goals I'm trying to set.

I've browsed the requirements, and understand that I must be employed doing the work for Xtime before I can start taking the tests. Similar to ASE stuff for automotive (outside of specific schooling).

I know I could just start calling FBO's to ask if they're hiring anyone, but figured that checking here may generate solid leads.

Thanks for the input!

Just like everything else a FSDO does there seems to be a lack of standardization when it comes to what is required...

It was a long time ago, back when you could just walk into the Oakland FSDO and there were no double electronic doors or bulletproof glass, no surveillance cameras and you didn't even necessarily need an appointment. When I went in with my letter to get authorized to test for my A&P license the guy who interviewed me said he would only sign me off for the airframe. As we were standing out front smoking a cigarette an examiner came out who I had met at the airport a couple of days earlier. We had struck up a conversation because I had an Alfa Romeo and so did he. Anyway we said "hi" to each other and my interviewer asked him "do you know this guy?" to which he said "yea"

So he took my paper back and signed me off for both A&P. Classic good ol' boys network type of thing :D

Just something to remember here, the guidance (8900.1) doesn't require a breakdown of task, only a cumulative record of hours working under the supervision of an A&P. My advise is to keep it generic and non specific and follow the order.

FWIW

I have heard rumors that a person who has built an experimental and holds the repairmens certificate for it can use that experience to qualify to take the tests..... True ????:dunno:

I have heard rumors that a person who has built an experimental and holds the repairmens certificate for it can use that experience to qualify to take the tests..... True ????:dunno:

I know two people this has worked for in the past. They did have A&P partners in the aircraft build in both cases.

I just got my A&P this month. Yes the two homebuilts and two repairman certificates counted towards my hours. I also had 4 IA's who I had worked with write letters of recommendation. I used the King courses for the written's and passed all with 85 or above. (Martha flat puts me to sleep) The oral part of the practical was the same questions on the written. I had done almost everything in the practical so it was no sweat. Oral and practical was 15 hours over two days. I did everything in 6 weeks. Don

I know two people this has worked for in the past. They did have A&P partners in the aircraft build in both cases.

I just got my A&P this month. Yes the two homebuilts and two repairman certificates counted towards my hours. I also had 4 IA's who I had worked with write letters of recommendation. I used the King courses for the written's and passed all with 85 or above. (Martha flat puts me to sleep) The oral part of the practical was the same questions on the written. I had done almost everything in the practical so it was no sweat. Oral and practical was 15 hours over two days. I did everything in 6 weeks. Don

As said above, it can be done as long as there is documentation. :thumbsup:

Well, I don't plan on building an experimental any time soon, so that route isn't very feasible.

Back