Another Game "Guess the problem"

Darrell111

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Darrell111
Ok so lets have a little fun at the same time actually learn some things. Im sure some of you mechanics can really stump us so have at it. This should get the brains thinking. By the way I'm sure some of these questions could be a bit vague but the point is to expose people to different problems that someone might have never thought of.

OK ill start.

Your flying along in your trusty 172rg. Beautiful day, sun is shinning, your in cruise flight but notice that your your ammeter start to jump (in the positive) every once in a while. Seems to be happening more often and often and you never have seen it act this way before. ... What might this be and what should you do?

Last edited:
Voltage regulator, Have the mechanic look at it and charge me an arm and a leg to fix it.

The cover on the battery box touches the positive terminal every once in a while

See this is good.. Your responses could be the issue but something more serious.. (gear related)

Darrell111 said:
See this is good.. Your responses could be the issue but something more serious.. (gear related)
There is a leak in the gear system and the pump is running periodically to keep the system pressurized (I believe it is supposed to maintain 1500 lbs). Soon your resevoir will be low and your gear (which requires fluid to operate, even for manual gear extension) will not come down.

Good reason to install a "pump in operation" light on the panel to see when the pump is running.

How'd I do?

NC Pilot said:
There is a leak in the gear system and the pump is running periodically to keep the system pressurized (I believe it is supposed to maintain 1500 lbs). Soon your reservoir will be low and your gear (which requires fluid to operate, even for manual gear extension) will not come down.

Good reason to install a "pump in operation" light on the panel to see when the pump is running.

How'd I do?

YOU SIR ARE CORRECT!!! Good job! :D No fair though.. looks like you have a plane that has this system Yes/no? ha

The Hydraulic power pack is turning on to re pressurize the system.

Darrell111 said:
YOU SIR ARE CORRECT!!! looks like you have a plane that has this system Yes/no? ha

The Hydraulic power pack is turning on to re pressurize the system.
I have a 182 RG. Basically the same system as the 172 RG, but knew this answer before I bought the plane.

jdwatson said:
Drat, I really like the 172RG.
Not a reason to not like the Cessna RG's. Just be aware of the systems and their quirks.

Can I play? Lycoming IO 360, on run up LH mag runs rough RH mag OK, aggressive leaning cures roughness. #2 LH bottom plug appears to be burning richer than #4. Top plugs look the same. Cause/cure?
Ron

L10MAN said:
Can I play? Lycoming IO 360, on run up LH mag runs rough RH mag OK, aggressive leaning cures roughness. #2 LH bottom plug appears to be burning richer than #4. Top plugs look the same. Cause/cure?
Ron

Injector clogged, or low fuel pressure.

NC Pilot said:
Not a reason to not like the Cessna RG's. Just be aware of the systems and their quirks.

Yep not a problem at all.. Great plane,, unless of course you loose hyrdaulic pressure before you relize its all gone :hairraise:..

Darrell111 said:
Yep not a problem at all.. Great plane,, unless of course you loose hyrdaulic pressure before you relize its all gone :hairraise:..
That is why I carry my tow bar in the plane at all times. It can be used to hook the main gear and pull it into position. The nose gear will drop into place on it's own.

NC Pilot said:
That is why I carry my tow bar in the plane at all times. It can be used to hook the main gear and pull it into position. The nose gear will drop into place on it's own.

Uh, like out the window, or with the door open??? :hairraise:

Dang Mark beat me to it. I used to fly a rental 172RG that would do this occasionally, so I did know the answer.

Here's my question: how do you know when it happens too much?

In discussing gear systems with people who know more than me, I've heard there is no such thing as a perfectly closed gear hydraulic system. They all "leak" in some manner (leak == disappearance of fluid). On top of that, they are "small volume" systems, so if you're looking for leaks, you're not likely to find a giant puddle somewhere.

These are the kinds of things I wonder about as a relatively new owner.

-Rich

Bill Jennings said:
Better than making a low pass down the runway while Cooter tries to dislodge it with a broom handle from the back of a speeding pickup truck!

Bill Jennings said:
Door open, seat belt on. Would not try without another pilot in the plane to keep an eye on things and slow fly. Otherwise, the insurance company just paid for an engine tear down and a little skin work.

NC Pilot said:
Door open, seat belt on. Would not try without another pilot in the plane to keep an eye on things and slow fly. Otherwise, the insurance company just paid for an engine tear down and a little skin work.

If you have to, how well do they belly up? Do they tend to ground loop once a wing comes down?

L10MAN said:
Ron

No clue :dunno:

NC Pilot said:

WOW!! hahaah Sounds exciting! Do what you must i guess :D

I know of Cardinal RG pilots that have used a 9 iron to do the same.

And of course, there's always bodily fluid emergency reservoir...

NC Pilot said:

rpadula said:
Here's my question: how do you know when it happens too much?

-Rich

I'm curious on this one too, as I rent a 172RG that does this periodically. Doesn't seem to ever need fluid added to the reservoir though.

Jim G

Several possibilities.

I'd check the part nos. on the plugs to see if they are all the same heat range.

L10MAN said:
Ron

NC Pilot said:

I can just see Agatha's reaction if you try that with her in the plane.....

wsuffa said:
I can just see Agatha's reaction if you try that with her in the plane.....
With Agatha in the plane I would probably just belly it is. :yes:

Bill Jennings said:
If you have to, how well do they belly up? Do they tend to ground loop once a wing comes down?
Just slide to a stop and get out. No problems...

NC Pilot said:

Would an adjustable length boat hook work as well? Maybe not a big enough hook...

Bill Jennings said:
Would an adjustable length boat hook work as well? Maybe not a big enough hook...
Sure, but my tow bar is in the plane all the time...

grattonja said:
I'm curious on this one too, as I rent a 172RG that does this periodically. Doesn't seem to ever need fluid added to the reservoir though.

Jim G

Thats exactly what you do. Check the reservoir. I couldn't tell you what the time intervals would be but i would think it would be noticeably more often. I'm sure if you flew a particular AC enough you would get a feel of how often that AC does it. On the Rg i fly i hear it on take of when i go full power and thats the last time i hear it. ( by hearing i hear it in my headset, it causes a surge in voltage).

Steve said:
I know of Cardinal RG pilots that have used a 9 iron to do the same.

And of course, there's always bodily fluid emergency reservoir...
With the gyrations required to check the reservoir dipstick while on the ground, I would be simply amazed to see someone add fluid while in the air. I picture it would require laying on the seat upside down with one's feet pointed up in the air...

Back