Another GA crash, 2 fatalities in Ocala, FL

Re: Bonanza down in FL

Sad,may they rest in peace.

A V35 Bonanza crashed shortly after takeoff from a flying community near Ocala. The two occupants, husband and wife in their late 70's, were both killed. I'm not linking an article to this as not much is said but happened to be talking to my son, who lives in Fl, when the TV news reported this just a short time ago with more details. I could hear the report myself. Seems the couple had recently moved to the flying community and owned 2 planes. They were enroute to pick up a grandchild. FAA is on scene. Witness heard the plane and said it sounded normal, no engine failure.

It's been said here before that GA fatality statistics seem pretty constant except for last year when they rose. It also seems apparent that many of the recent fatality crashes have involved older pilots - 60 and up. Guess that's not a surprising trend but being in that age group myself have to wonder if we're missing something that could reduce those numbers. The crash in Clovis Sunday involved a 66 yr. old man in a C421. I could site a few more in recent weeks but this post is getting long enough.

Threads have been posted on BFR's and the Wings program with different views from many of you. Airline pilots face mandatory 65 retirement and then continue to fly, many enter Part 135 ops. They don't quit because of age. What's the difference? Gotta guess its training and currency. Medical issues seldom seem to be the root of the problem (are you listening ALPA?).

I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for reading.

The difference is these are not commercial operations. There is no one buying a ticket with any reasonable expectations of anything, and more importantly, there is a limit on the insurance payout which is not true with airlines. Remember, the FAA is not here to protect us from ourselves and assure our safety; the FAA is here to make sure the insurance actuaries can make accurate predictions and set premiums that assure profitability.

The subject on this one is not the crash, but putting a max age limit on pilots in non airline operations.

The subject on this one is not the crash, but putting a max age limit on pilots in non airline operations.

Thank you. Some just don't get it.:mad2:

And no, I'm not suggesting a max age. That's unfair to the qualified. Took a long time to tell Bob Hoover he couldn't fly here anymore. And there are many, many more out there in the upper age group perfectly capable of flying in all conditions and situations.

The boomers are all getting older,will be interesting to see ,if the rate of fatalities continues to go up. Also be interested in how many are caused by elderly pilots.

Thank you. Some just don't get it.:mad2:

And no, I'm not suggesting a max age. That's unfair to the qualified. Took a long time to tell Bob Hoover he couldn't fly here anymore. And there are many, many more out there in the upper age group perfectly capable of flying in all conditions and situations.

I don't see the problem with them killing themselves in planes. Everyone dies, it's a heck of a lot cheaper for the rest of us have if they die quickly in their planes rather than after 2 years of heavy expensive medical care on Medicare.

It's been said here before that GA fatality statistics seem pretty constant except for last year when they rose.

Having trouble on takeoff might possibly be equipment failure. I don't have the numbers to prove this but it seems like recently it has been equipment failure on most of the recent crashes.

Harrison Fords plane. It was found that it was engine failure:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/11/harrison-ford-plane-crash_n_6844952.html

Harrison Ford is now 72! and he is going to continue to fly. I'm happy for him!

This thread just sailed over the deep end.

The problem here is the same whether its cars or airplanes. I dare say that not having periodic proficiency checks for drivers is way more of a concern for me than the aging pilots who continue to fly and pass their medical exams and flight reviews.

That being said, if you know an aging pilot whose continuing to operate out of regs, do his family and the rest of us a favor and do something about it.

Harrison Fords plane. It was found that it was engine failure: ...

Not only was it an "engine" failure. Its a defect that has been known about for many years. The problem with that particular carb goes back a long way.

This thread just sailed over the deep end.

The problem here is the same whether its cars or airplanes. I dare say that not having periodic proficiency checks for drivers is way more of a concern for me than the aging pilots who continue to fly and pass their medical exams and flight reviews.

That being said, if you know an aging pilot whose continuing to operate out of regs, do his family and the rest of us a favor and do something about it.

I totally agree :thumbsup:

I would also like to add if you do an accurate pre flight check and you lose an engine just after take off and you don't have a suitable landing area. You are going to crash if you are 16 or 116.

RIP

Remember, the FAA is not here to protect us from ourselves and assure our safety; the FAA is here to make sure the insurance actuaries can make accurate predictions and set premiums that assure profitability.

I'm going to make a giant sign that says this on it!

ugh.. I wish we could learn something from these accidents quicker. RIP!

Don't mean to be flippant but sometimes there isn't much to learn. Engines quit at times, in inopportune fashion as well. People sometimes become incapacitated. You can't insulate completely against either of those situations. Life is a risk, but I still think it's worth livng.

It also seems apparent that many of the recent fatality crashes have involved older pilots - 60 and up. Guess that's not a surprising trend but being in that age group myself have to wonder if we're missing something that could reduce those numbers.

Threads have been posted on BFR's and the Wings program with different views from many of you. Airline pilots face mandatory 65 retirement and then continue to fly, many enter Part 135 ops. They don't quit because of age. What's the difference?

Think you almost answered your own question. I'm not in that age group, but most people that own, fly and pay maintenance/fuel/etc. are probably older. I don't see too many under 30's in my area and ZERO that own their own AC. The only way you're going to see a younger one in an accident is if it was a rental or during training. Using that logic, we should stop all training activity:lol::eek:

Think you almost answered your own question. I'm not in that age group, but most people that own, fly and pay maintenance/fuel/etc. are probably older. I don't see too many under 30's in my area and ZERO that own their own AC. The only way you're going to see a younger one in an accident is if it was a rental or during training. Using that logic, we should stop all training activity:lol::eek:

I said RECENT crashes. There are tons of them with middle-age pilots either in fatality mode or injuries. The Cirrus in Lake Wales few weeks back was a mid-30' s CFI. In no way am I pointing fingers at any age group. Was just an observation. Would like to see statistics broken down into age groups and then into causes. Not all engine failures in flight result in death, crash or injuries. Some make it down safely. VFR into IMC is just plain pilot error - age doesn't matter. That should be the goal - safety. How do we achieve it!

Rental ac crash, too. Quite often, in fact, and lately haven't seen any involved in training except the Lake Wales one. So I don't quite understand your logic.

Last edited:
I can't believe there are any doctor-killers (V35s) left the way they've been going down this year. :(:no:

No disrespect intended to anyone

You seem to want to drag this thread into an argument about socialized health care.

Not at all, it's a reality regardless how one pays for it. Everyone dies, why is that so hard for society to accept?:dunno:

Not at all, it's a reality regardless how one pays for it. Everyone dies, why is that so hard for society to accept?:dunno:

But that isn't what the thread was about. Please take it to spin zone.

The average age of pilots involved in crashes is half of the question. The other half is what is the average age of GA pilots. As GA pilots, on average, get older, the average age of those who crash will get older, even if age, itself, is not a risk factor.

The airplane was old. How was the maintenence? Wasn't he taking off? It could very well have crapped out at high RPM and he could not save it. Happens a lot.

The average age of pilots involved in crashes is half of the question. The other half is what is the average age of GA pilots. As GA pilots, on average, get older, the average age of those who crash will get older, even if age, itself, is not a risk factor.

:yeahthat:

I don't know what happened, we may never know. What I do know is that two people voluntarily got into their own plane, crashed and perished.

No one else was injured, damaged, or otherwise affected directly by this. Sure - indirect insurance rates may go up by a tick, yes, their family will certainly grieve. I'm sad that they died, I'm sad that Walt died a few months back. But they were taking their own risks with their own equipment. So - anything we can learn about this is - leave people the hell alone.

Back