Another FNG

jmaynard

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Maynard
I'm yet another new member. I popped in after a mention on rec.aviation.piloting, and thought I'd see if it lived up to the hype.

I'm a PP-ASEL operating under the sport pilot rules due to medical issues. I hadn't flown in about 15 years due to lack of money. That got fixed at the beginning of the year, and I'm getting back into it in a big way: I'm taking delivery of a brand new AMD Zodiac XLi at the factory Tuesday. (Pictures are on my LiveJournal at jmaynard.livejournal.com; I'd post a link if I could.) I've flown a few hours since January, and am looking to fly a lot more once I get the airplane home.

I hope this forum will turn out to be what rec.aviation.* was in the 90s, and not the sewer overrun by spam from a few anonymous posters that it is today.

Jay,

Welcome to PoA. We're glad you found us. I haven't had the chance to fly a Zodiac XLi but I hear great things about them. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Keep us posted on your progress and join in the fray!!

I'm yet another new member. I popped in after a mention on rec.aviation.piloting, and thought I'd see if it lived up to the hype.

I'm a PP-ASEL operating under the sport pilot rules due to medical issues. I hadn't flown in about 15 years due to lack of money. That got fixed at the beginning of the year, and I'm getting back into it in a big way: I'm taking delivery of a brand new AMD Zodiac XLi at the factory Tuesday. (Pictures are on my LiveJournal at jmaynard.livejournal.com; I'd post a link if I could.) I've flown a few hours since January, and am looking to fly a lot more once I get the airplane home.

I hope this forum will turn out to be what rec.aviation.* was in the 90s, and not the sewer overrun by spam from a few anonymous posters that it is today.

Welcome, Jay!

I left the rec.aviation.* for the same reaosn. You'll find this (moderated) forum much more civil and informative.

I finally saw a Zodiac yesterday (not yet complete). Sounds like it will be an awesome a/c when complete!

Welcome Jay,
IMO you won't find a better group of pilots anywhere else on the net. There will be times that some will disagree on things, but it stays civil,(most of the time)

I am really surprised to here that rec-aviation was still up and running. It had seemed to me that USENET had turned into a morass of spam years ago. Well welcome anyways!

Very nice looking plane. You are going to have a lot of fun with it!!!! Welcome.

Congrats on YOUR new plane. Love to see all these new guys showing up with new planes - easier to get rides. ;)

Welcome to PoA!

Welcome, new guy!! That's a great looking airplane, I can't wait to hear and see more about it when you take delivery. Is there any significance to the tail number, or is that just what they gave you?

Well for you New Guys Welcome.
And we do have our PITA's here but mostly we are a good group, and if you have a question you will find the answer here. Chuck keeps us in line and wont let it get out of hand. WELCOME AGAIN.
Dave G.

Thanks, someday i'll be in MI visiting Tdragger, maybe i'll fly to kalamazoo and meet you too( probably later this summer)

Dave G

Welcome, new guy!! That's a great looking airplane, I can't wait to hear and see more about it when you take delivery.
I'm really getting antsy to do it...it's been nearly three months since I ordered it. I do have to say that I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. AMD did a great job of taking my design and turning it into the real airplane.

Is there any significance to the tail number, or is that just what they gave you?
The K5ZC in my signature is my ham radio callsign; I've held that for 30 years. Since I couldn't get N5ZC (reserved by the H. B. Zachry Company, in Texas), I settled for doubling the 5.

The K5ZC in my signature is my ham radio callsign; I've held that for 30 years. Since I couldn't get N5ZC (reserved by the H. B. Zachry Company, in Texas), I settled for doubling the 5.

I figured with the special close up photo, there must be some significance. Hopefully most controllers will just call you 5ZC anyways. Or you could always just call the H. B. Zachry Company and tell them they stole your tail number, those schmucks :).

I figured with the special close up photo, there must be some significance.
No, the closeup is to show detail of the stripes and the emblem on the tail.

Hopefully most controllers will just call you 5ZC anyways.
Yes, that's what I had in mind.

Or you could always just call the H. B. Zachry Company and tell them they stole your tail number, those schmucks :).
Heh...well, considering they bought the reservation from someone else when they let it lapse the first time, and that they also have N[1-4]ZC, I kinda doubt I could get them to turn loose.

Pretty paint scheme!

Great looking bird! I got to crawl over a Zodiac last spring at a fly-in breakfast. It was a friend-of-a-friend's, so he didn't mind our close inspection. ;) He was still dealing with prop/engine configuration issues, but overall he seemed really happy with the design itself.

Pretty paint scheme!
For those of you who haven't checked out my profile, or know me from elsewhere, I'm known around the Internet as the Tron Guy. The paint scheme is intended to look classy, yet leave no doubt that it's the Tron Guy's airplane. The light green color was actually matched to the color I used on the costume, and the light blue stripes (which I asked to be reflective, if possible) and dark blue paint are similarly intended to look like the costume. AMD succeeded beyond my greatest expectations. I really, really like the way it turned out.

We're planning to get some pictures at the factory with me in the costume and the airplane, including the traditional picture of them handing me the keys. The AMD factory is at EZM, which is also where the aviation campus of Middle Georgia College is. The students there all want pictures, too.

Great looking bird! I got to crawl over a Zodiac last spring at a fly-in breakfast.
If you come to the fly-in breakfast at FRM on June 22, you'll get to see mine... :) Everyone at the airport has been telling me I really need to have it home by then. You'd think they've never seen a new airplane before!

If you come to the fly-in breakfast at FRM on June 22, you'll get to see mine... :) Everyone at the airport has been telling me I really need to have it home by then. You'd think they've never seen a new airplane before!

Bummer.. I would actually entertain the idea of making the hop up that way (105nm from me), but I'll be about 400nm south of here that weekend. :rolleyes:

We're planning to get some pictures at the factory with me in the costume and the airplane, including the traditional picture of them handing me the keys. The AMD factory is at EZM, which is also where the aviation campus of Middle Georgia College is. The students there all want pictures, too.
I've been there. EZM was a stop on my IR XC coming back from Lakeland a couple years ago. I've known a couple guys who went there for their training.

I just moved from KGVL and KPDK to Conroe, TX to take a CFI job a couple months ago.

You should get in touch with Tom Dager (TDager) on the board. He's up in McDonough and I'm sure he'd like to hear from ya down there.

The K5ZC in my signature is my ham radio callsign; I've held that for 30 years.

Well Jay, I too am a ham operator. My call is N3XBN (lowly No Coder) someday i may get to the other bands.
Dave G:blueplane:

That better be your avatar when you get the photo! :rofl::rofl:

Back