Another Fine Day at Price Chopper

My Amazon card is Chase.. 5/3/1 cash back, and 12% APR.

I've thought about it and they keep asking me if I want it, but I really don't need another logo card. Besides, I now have security freezes in effect at all three CRAs and I'm too lazy to lift them.

Rich

I'm currently in a love/hate relationship with Amazon. Couple of weeks ago now they sent me an email stating my account had been hacked and that they caught it. They locked the account and removed all credit cards from it and I needed to do a password reset.

All well and good, so I did just that and was back in business. I soon noticed that my browsing history at Amazon showed two Apple watches had not only been browsed, but purchased. I went to orders and there was no sign of such an order on my account. Must have been what the hacker wanted. I figured since it didn't show as an order they stopped it and all was well.

While logged in to my Costco Visa account I notice a pending charge for some $613 from Amazon and lo and behold a FedEx package shows up with two Apple watches. Houston we have a problem.

Simple solution would be to start the return process, but wait, I can't do that because according to Amazon I have no order for Apple watches. I call Citibank and we decide to kill my card and they FedEx a new one the next morning. Citibank guy gives me a phone number for Amazon so I call them, explain the whole deal and the nice young lady, from somewhere other than here, seems to say she will take care of it.

Some days go by and now the charge on my account is no longer pending, it has been processed through so I have to dispute it. Once again I call Amazon and once again no real progress is made, all I want to do is give them back the freaking watches.

Citibank finally processes the dispute, which by the time they did it was two charges for the same amount and now two credits for that amount. Now I get a nasty email from Amazon telling me they've been back charged for the watches and I need to provide them with a credit card so they can charge me.

They are not going to enjoy the next phone conversation we're going to have.

The few times I've had to call Amazon I've always gotten U.S.-based agents who seemed empowered to do anything short of installing me as a member of the Board of Directors. Maybe it's a time-of-day thing. I know of a few companies that offload their phone support overseas after U.S. business hours.

Rich

I've thought about it and they keep asking me if I want it, but I really don't need another logo card. Besides, I now have security freezes in effect at all three CRAs and I'm too lazy to lift them.

Rich

I misremembered some old thread where I thought you were getting the 5% from Amazon. Apologies. No big deal, I know, just weird that I remembered that wrong.

I misremembered some old thread where I thought you were getting the 5% from Amazon. Apologies. No big deal, I know, just weird that I remembered that wrong.

I do get 5 percent back. You didn't misremember. But I have the Amazon store card from Synchrony, not their co-branded Visa card from Chase. I think the Visa card only paid 3 percent back then to the Synchrony card's 5. Now they both pay 5.

Rich

I do get 5 percent back. You didn't misremember. But I have the Amazon store card from Synchrony, not their co-branded Visa card from Chase. I think the Visa card only paid 3 percent back then to the Synchrony card's 5. Now they both pay 5.
I'm pretty sure the Chase card is 5% if you're a Prime member and 3% otherwise. This is a relatively recent development as RJM62 notes.

Rich

I'm pretty sure the Chase card is 5% if you're a Prime member and 3% otherwise. This is a relatively recent development as RJM62 notes.

Ahhh. That makes more sense now. They've been inundating me with offers for their co-branded 5% one so I assumed that was the one.

Today's mission also had a very successful outcome:

pc-091717.jpg

If you subtract the tax ($1.28) and the beverage deposits ($1.20), I saved $57.97 on a total bill of $114.93, or 50.44 percent. Woo-hoo!

This is definitely one to frame.

Rich

It's extremely easy to do when you hide the receipt from view. If I only bought the "buy one get one free" things I could save 50% every time. See? Easy.

It's extremely easy to do when you hide the receipt from view. If I only bought the "buy one get one free" things I could save 50% every time. See? Easy.

That's almost exactly what I did. It's hardly a secret. I stock up on the stuff that's on sale. Not all of it was BOGO this time, but some was better than 50 percent off. So it balanced out.

You can never have too many cans of tomatoes, after all.

Rich

When our local Price Chopper has its semiannual meat sale, save a lot, too. But it ain't a $58 bill, either!

Another personal best. This one may actually be a record in the annals of Guerrilla Grocery Shopping. It came out to 55.24 percent. Woo hoo!

new-world-record.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all.
We got lucky recently. An store that shall remain unnamed to protect their privacy, wife saw some dress shirts (for my work) with huge markdown, usually from around $50 to $8-$12. Plus a $10 OFF coupon plus a 20% off coupon, it came to about $26 with tax. That is about 88% savings. I could not believe it. :)

Back