Another Film Legend Lost

K

KennyFlys

Charlton Heston - a screen giant bows out

The film world lost one of its last remaining links with Old Hollywood on Saturday night when actor Charlton Heston died at his home in Beverly Hills surrounded by his family. He was 84.

I have no doubt he'll now ride in a chariot of gold. Not as an actor but as a faithful servant who has earned his due.

Several years ago, Heston gave a speech at Harvard Law. It is titled "Winning The Cultural War". I highly recommend it for reading and for reference.

Who pried his gun from his cold dead hands?

I always liked the guy. He was one of my favorite actors!

Ken I am sure you really did not like him. He was from Chicago ;)

Who pried his gun from his cold dead hands?

I always liked the guy. He was one of my favorite actors!

Not everyone can be perfect! :D

Yep, I liked 'em as well. He was one of few who stood for values and didn't go with the Hollywierd crowd that developed over the last forty years.

No he wasn't. He was from Highland Park (Wilmette? Some north shore burb).

I knew a guy who dated his sister. Sees a picture at her house. "That guy looks familiar..."
""Imagine him in a beard and robes."
"....No.....!"

He was a guy that proves you can't force folks into a mold. He played some really great historical heros and then of coures was recently best known for his role in the NRA. Michael Moore had him in his move about guns. But a lot of folks don't know he was active in the Civil Rights movement and marched with MLKjr.

Without trying to get too political, I'm always unhappy when people are surprised that a man who would champion one set of rights belonging to a free person (i.e. freedom from discrimination based on the color of their skin) would also champion another set of rights, such as the right to keep and bear arms for sport and self-defense.

I just don't see the discontinuity - and I know Charlton didn't either.

Without trying to get too political, I'm always unhappy when people are surprised that a man who would champion one set of rights belonging to a free person (i.e. freedom from discrimination based on the color of their skin) would also champion another set of rights, such as the right to keep and bear arms for sport and self-defense.

I just don't see the discontinuity - and I know Charlton didn't either.
He believed everyone should be allowed to exercise the rights given them by God and further allowed to exercise them under a Constitution providing a guarantee. They were not granted based on color or personal preferences but rather on your very existence.

His speech described him quite well.

He didn't die....

He was killed by those... "damn dirty apes!"

During my first year of radio/television/theatre school in Boston Mr. Heston was a guest at our small school. He was the center of a round-table interview of which I was one of the panel. He had both feet on the same floor(stage) as we and he was very polite, displaying none of the ego trip often seen of today's "stars." (That was the 1962-63 year)

HR

After seeing him play Moses and Judah Ben-Hur my wife thought he was Jewish.

Back