Another fellow pilot lost

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I posted this in another thread, but thought I'd add more information to a new one.

Here is the web site that had information about Terry and Rodger's airshow. Now it's a memorial to Rodger. There is a guest book if anyone is interested.

http://www.teamredwarbirds.com/

I spent time with Rodger when he flew into our farm twice to practice the airshow routine. He was a very nice guy and a heck of a pilot.

Its a sad deal, the slideshow Terry put together is really good though!

wow. I don't know Rodger, and I never met him, but that video was actually pretty tough to watch.

Was his death aviation-related?

Sigh. I hate reading about the loss of pilots.

NickDBrennan said:
Was his death aviation-related?

He died in an airshow crash. Very sad indeed.

Diana,

Sorry to hear about this. I am at Flight Safety and heard about it at the beginning of the week. I thought it was another friend of mine. I did not know this guy so I was happy to know that it wasnt my friend and extremely sad at the same time. Sigh.

Sorry for the loss...

Brent

Diana said:
I spent time with Rodger when he flew into our farm twice to practice the airshow routine. He was a very nice guy and a heck of a pilot.
I just stumbled on this thread. Very sad for your loss, Diana.

:( Very, very sad, but a beautiful tribute Terry has put together. His love for his friend shows in this presentation, and I'm sure Roger's life was enriched by the friendship they shared.

Pictures of Rodger at the farm are attached. It seems like the deeper that I get into aerobatics, the more wonderful people that I meet like Rodger and Bobby Younkin. But then some of them die doing aerobatics. I lost a friend to a spin that didn't recover in a Pitts several years ago. I'm still trying to put things into perspective.

Diana said:
Pictures of Rodger at the farm are attached. It seems like the deeper that I get into aerobatics, the more wonderful people that I meet like Rodger and Bobby Younkin. But then some of them die doing aerobatics. I lost a friend to a spin that didn't recover in a Pitts several years ago. I'm still trying to put things into perspective.
Diana, I had a number of conversations on this topic last week after you left OSH, all with people far wiser than I. I'll try to condense them into some kind of thoughtful summary and make a new post in the aerobatics section a little later today.

Ken Ibold said:
Diana, I had a number of conversations on this topic last week after you left OSH, all with people far wiser than I. I'll try to condense them into some kind of thoughtful summary and make a new post in the aerobatics section a little later today.
I look forward to reading it, too. I am so bummed out by all the deaths this past month. Another one this weekend of a fellow in Texas, practicing for a competition. Also, a very best friend of one of my aerobatic buddies at HWV just died in England, practicing for a competition over there. This is beginning to feel like an epidemic.

Please share any insight you have, Ken.

Diana said:
Beautiful pictures, Diana. Is that you sitting behind him? I can't tell.

Toby said:
I look forward to reading it, too. I am so bummed out by all the deaths this past month. Another one this weekend of a fellow in Texas, practicing for a competition. Also, a very best friend of one of my aerobatic buddies at HWV just died in England, practicing for a competition over there. This is beginning to feel like an epidemic.

Please share any insight you have, Ken.

Another, Mr. Crowell went down last week in Arlington, Wa. An accomplished airshow aerobatics performer and flight school operator.

Dave Krall CFII said:
Another, Mr. Crowell went down last week in Arlington, Wa. An accomplished airshow aerobatics performer and flight school operator.
Do you have a link, Dave?

Toby said:
Do you have a link, Dave?

I heard it on the news and also just read it on AvWeb if you have that site. He was flying a Sportsman 2+2 (GlasStar) that went down in the woods nearby. NTSB is reviewing tape.

Dave Krall CFII said:
I heard it on the news and also just read it on AvWeb if you have that site. He was flying a Sportsman 2+2 (GlasStar) that went down in the woods nearby. NTSB is reviewing tape.

And now the P51 that was based at OVS... :(

Back