Another Fatal in Colorado Today

Anyone have a name or hometown for the fellow aviator yet ?

Why are pilots heroes every time we crash and don't hit a building? While we certainly don't want to injure those inside, it's just as much self preservation. Much better chance of survival on a field than into the side of a structure; I think others have the misconception that every crash is a nearly uncontrolled plummet to the earth.

Ebykowsky, I completely agree and my wife and I just had this conversation. As pilots we look for the most suitable place to land a crippled aircraft and we avoid structures at all cost (if we can). This does not make us heroes but just as you said - it's self preservation in the hopes we can walk away. Here in the Midwest I keep an eye out for gravel roads and open fields both we have plenty of. As for the statement from TXFLYER, really? How many production planes go down because of something failing? I wouldn't ever assume its builder error unless facts show it. Pot stirred.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are pilots heroes every time we crash and don't hit a building? While we certainly don't want to injure those inside, it's just as much self preservation. Much better chance of survival on a field than into the side of a structure; I think others have the misconception that every crash is a nearly uncontrolled plummet to the earth.

I was wondering that too however the from the news report it seems that there might have been an in flight fire, if thats the case then the PIC may have really had to work at getting it out of the business area.

I was wondering that too however the from the news report it seems that there might have been an in flight fire, if thats the case then the PIC may have really had to work at getting it out of the business area.

That is my biggest nightmare...:yikes:

Ebykowsky, I completely agree and my wife and I just had this conversation. As pilots we look for the most suitable place to land a crippled aircraft and we avoid structures at all cost (if we can). This does not make us heroes but just as you said - it's self preservation in the hopes we can walk away. Here in the Midwest I keep an eye out for gravel roads and open fields both we have plenty of. As for the statement from TXFLYER, really? How many production planes go down because of something failing? I wouldn't ever assume its builder error unless facts show it. Pot stirred.

Paul

Thanks, Welcome to POA!!!

I agree with you about self preservation , but also think it's much better to be called a hero than the daredevil pilot that crashed his plane into a field killing himself .
It's better for the pilot's family and better for us .

There were early witnesses that said he survived and couldn't extricate before the fire took over. Awful way to go.

I've test flew a Sonerai II for a buddy that bought one. Their kind of a lead sled when taking off a 2000' grass strip. Once in the air it was almost like any other plane. It was an interesting little thing.

And yes, I would rather be called a hero even if not warranted than a daredevil pilot as so many times the media makes us out to be.

Paul

Paul

I was stirring the pot because of Brien's thread. I guess you missed it.

Honestly, this would be an enjoyable board if people weren't wound so tight. :nonod:

Calm as a cucumber here. I've just seen many stabs at homebuilts lately. Just making a comment.

Back