Another excellent soaring flight

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Today was awesome for a different reason. I didnt go anywhere except up. I was planning on towing and then noticed the AWOS in Ames reporting Few at 9000 at 1 PM. hmmmm. Matt had been up flying and verified this, so I scrambled the phone lines and secured a towpilot. He is my personal hero. Matt helped me get the barograph ready and I double checked that the state altitude record is 11,200. I was seriously thinking it could fall, and Matt knew it was a possibility too. Its his record.

I launched at 2 PM. The tow went really fast and I was soon climbing. I stepped up in about three thermals and got to over 9000 feet. For the next few hours I floated from cloud to cloud, trying to work upwind a little, and made it up higher, around 9500 feet. I had a solid 2 hrs above 7000 feet. The lift was great and the clouds were really sucking (thats a good thing). Two other guys from our glider club were up. One in his Schweizer 1-35 and another in the clubs 1-34. The 1-35 fell out and landed after an horu and a half. the 1-34 had the best flight of his career and landed after about 3 hrs, having been to over 9000 feet, he was pretty tired. Im used to this sort of punishment so I continued on for a couple hours.

The lift all day was smooth, even with the semi-strong 15-20 knot northwest wind. It wasnt always really strong, but it was easy to work so I had no complaints. Better to have a 300 fpm thermal that you can stay in instead of busting your butt to find a 500 fpm one that just isnt workable.

It was only about a year ago that I did this flight, but how quickly I forgot the pain of a long duration flight in my glider. The good thing is that after about 3 hrs the pain just fades away and you dont feel anything. Between the cold and the cramped cockpit I was mostly numb. I found this to have a marked effect on my flying. An incredible improvement, to be exact. Matt and I discussed it later and decided that when you cant feel your appendages you relax and are able to concentrate on thermalling a lot more. This pays off because the end of the day thermals are small and require attention.

I hooked my last one at 6:45. It wasnt very strong and it was small. It required about a 45 degree bank and absolute minimum speed, about 50 mph. I was averaging a mere 100 fpm climb, but I was in updraft during the entire circle so that was good enough for me. The corrections that I was applying to my circle were working out and I was really carving my turns. The air was dead smooth. perfect time to be flying.

I topped that one at 7700 feet a little before 7 PM. From there it was a nice gentle glide back to earth for a landing at around 7:15. Not a bump was felt during descent. It was a very beautiful evening to fly and I was really sad to have to land. I definitely became one with my glider today.

very, very cool, Tony! All these soaring posts the last week or so are starting an itch that I might just have to scratch, especially if my plans to join a (powered) club here this summer go awry. There are 2 soaring clubs listed for Boulder, CO on the Soaring Society of America website you (or someone?) posted a while ago - any input on what you see about either of them?

SSB is very active as is Owl Canyon up north a ways. There are some really great pilots at both and some amazing soaring history in that area. The commercial soaring FBO at Boulder is pretty good too. You pay more but you fly when you want.

Back