Another excellent ASF accident recreation (Seneca overgross)

That was a sad accident. It still amazed me people with over 2,000 hours make these mistakes.

Man.

Read. Listen. Learn.

The overgross part had nothing to do with the accident as I remember it. He flew into very bad conditions without being IFR rated (I would not fly in them and I am ifr rated). You can tell by the recordings why he never got his rating. I listened to this one 3 or 4 months ago so I may have forgot some info.

I'm a veteren scud runner and it's exactly this kind of accident analysis that I have in my mind when I launch on a flight that will be challenging. If watching this video doesn't arm you with a willingness to reverse course or be spring loaded to execute your "outs" then nothing ever will. I'm willing to give it a look, but only after extensive analysis of the conditions and only with rock solid outs. The fuel guage is your optionometer. The lower it is, the fewer your options. My plane doesn't carry a lot of fuel to begin with so for that reason, I NEVER get on top. Flying in the sunshine to a crash site is not my idea of a plan.

Just horrible watching that. Wasn't that airplane at least equipped with an autopilot, which would have let him set a heading and at least get the airplane lined up on short final. Besides that, the inability to hold a course (in a pretty stable airplane) was unbelievable for a 2,000 hour pilot.

What I don't exactly understand is the weather. Did he proceed into IFR, or was he flying in VFR and the entire region dropped, more or less making the 180 turn worthless? My impression is that he pressed on into IFR, but I'm not 100% certain.

My impression is that he pressed on into IFR, but I'm not 100% certain.
Seems like that to me. Interestingly, both of the videos I posted have that in common - in both cases, the flights started out in nice VMC, which then deteriorated over the course of a few hours to hard IMC. And in both cases, there were ample warnings regarding the weather ahead.

It's quite striking that people ignore all these warnings. I can see how one could get caught in IMC if the change occurs suddenly, but in both cases, it's not like the IMC conditions were a surprise. ATC even told the second plane that "you can expect clouds all the way to the ground approaching the Wasach front". Not sure how it can get any clearer than that....

That was a sad accident. It still amazed me people with over 2,000 hours make these mistakes.

Was the "2000 hour" total verified? Or was it wishful logging?

It's really awful that stupid upon stupid decisions rarely takes only the pilot.

I've talked to those controllers many times -- can't be a good feeling to announce "Radar contact lost"

:sad:

Overgross sure didn't help any.

Certainly demonstrates a lack of common-sense when layered into all the other mistakes.

I allways thought they had too many consonants on board.

Was the "2000 hour" total verified? Or was it wishful logging?

It's really awful that stupid upon stupid decisions rarely takes only the pilot.

I've talked to those controllers many times -- can't be a good feeling to announce "Radar contact lost"

:sad:

I know some guys with more hours than that (pipeline fliers) that I wouldn't trust in ANY weather other than CAVU. The number of hours is irrelevant if it doesn't include a broad range of conditions and proper training.

I know some guys with more hours than that (pipeline fliers) that I wouldn't trust in ANY weather other than CAVU. The number of hours is irrelevant if it doesn't include a broad range of conditions and proper training.

Yeah, but who logs 2k hours, owns a Seneca, and can't find time to get an IR?

Unless you're flying locally in Phoenix, it seems rather dumb.

Back