Another critical review of PIC / IflyIFR

Bill Pierini

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bill P
After months of local training, with a very busy CFII, I elected to try PIC. Initially, the phone - office staff were incredibly helpful. I had almost 1000 total hours, 350 cross country, passed ground school and FAA written, about 40 hours IFR training (mostly hood) and the 250 mile cross country all completed. Almost all hours in a 182 or T210.
Decided that a 7 day course could finish up my training, I really wanted to complete because it was taking so long. So PIC sends out a very qualified instructor, tons of experience and hours. Second day he informs me he has never passed a student over 70 years old. I'm 72, he's 84. He then asks if I "really want to do this." After, of course, accepting my $5000. I thought about this for a day, and being appalled, chose to cancel after the 3rd day. No argument from the instructor. He gladly packed up and drove home.
I asked PIC for a refund of 4 days, minus instructor expenses. Never heard from them again. No refund, so filed with my CC company and was granted the refund from them. Still haven't heard from PIC. Be very cautious dealing with these folks, I am incredibly disillusioned, and on a scale of 1-10, would give them a 2. Only because the $2500 workbook is decent. Forgive the rambling, I'm still aggravated!

Did he fly with you, give you an honest evaluation? I can see them not asking your age in the sales pitch but if it can be an issue they should have asked.
Prove them wrong get your rating!

I also used PIC and my experience has been awful. Pure waste of money. My instructor was an older grumpy 'know it all' who didn't know how listen. He read the material from the book for first 2 days, which is insane since you can read it yourself. May advice is get a competent local CFII. You may need to try a few of them until you find the one the matches with your personality and have him/her commit to get you through the checkride. It will be more enjoyable and much, much cheaper.

I take the statement kind of personal since I’m over 75. I have an IFR rating and I’m current. Pic is another pilot factory mentality,it’s about the money.

I take the statement kind of personal since I’m over 75. I have an IFR rating and I’m current. Pic is another pilot factory mentality,it’s about the money.
It's not just the money, which is outrages by itself. Note that on top of the expensive course fee, you need to pay the hotel, food and transportation of the PIC instructor. That comes out to over 8k and you still won't be ready for the checkride. It's not practical. Luckily, I stopped the PIC $$$ bleeding after 3 days. I don't believe that a 'normal' pilot that has passed his IFR written test will be able to get through the IFR checkride using PIC. I may be convinced that it may help IFR rated pilot to get current, but that's about it. P.S I found a local CFII and achieved my IFR rating within 5 weeks (flying 2-3 a week), costing me about $1,800.

Back