Another crash in Destin

Twin engine Cessna. I wonder what happened that he went into the water like that.

Twin engine Cessna. I wonder what happened that he went into the water like that.
Hard to say, the usual departure is straight out to 1600 ft, then RV on course or something similar. Could be any number of things, at 8:30 it's dark, loss of vacuum is unlikely with 2 engines, I don't know about the weather. Loss of an engine is always a possibility, but he was alone and should have been way below gross.

Taking off towards open water at night can be like flying into a black hole....... spatial disorientation or spatial unawareness could be one possibility. Hopefully the investigation can tell what happened.

8:30 in this area still has enough daylight to make out a horizon. I was in Montgomery when a fairly fast moving front came through around 4 pm CT with a lot of rain. Takes about :45-1:00 to fly to Destin from MGM. So weather could have been a factor if that system stayed together. Spatial disorientation possible if there were no visible horizon. RIP.

8:30 in this area still has enough daylight to make out a horizon. I was in Montgomery when a fairly fast moving front came through around 4 pm CT with a lot of rain. Takes about :45-1:00 to fly to Destin from MGM. So weather could have been a factor if that system stayed together. Spatial disorientation possible if there were no visible horizon. RIP.
I've flown into Destin 100+ times and going over the water at night with any reduced visibility is no fun, add it being at dusk isn't a big help either! I doubt we'll know what happened unless they find a prop feathered or some other smoking gun. RIP

I have been too. Lived there 4 years at Eglin and later flew there all the time from Montgomery, like every Fri and Sun nights. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's no fun, especially if you're instrument rated. Get on the instruments! IMO. :D

Back