Another crash at GMU

Ronbonjovi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ronbonjovi
This isn't my home airport but very close by and I fly in quite frequently. Third crash there in less than three months. I'm curious if this has any negative effect on the controllers or airport management? Do they have any negative consequences because of these crashes, training, funding issues, etc? Or does the FAA chalk it all up to pilot error and leave it at that.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/plane...airport-1-injury-reported-police-say/24111362

Common enough that the airport director apparently is qualified to chalk it up to pilot error.

I love that airport because it’s so ‘in town’. Very handy.

Certainly have no idea what happened here but looks like pilot error or aircraft malfunction which justifies the AP manager calling it pilot error for the local news.

Sometimes I think the runway slope is an unexpected challenge to some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have flown into GMU several times (which reminds me I could use a trip to the runway cafe). Looks like one of aerowoods airplanes out of EQY.

is it sloped? I didn't know that.

Just slightly... 1.1 degree on the North South runway - half that on the east west runway. No big deal, not that noticeable but enough to pay attention to in some situations. The rising terrain to the north can add some visual miscues for the inexperienced.

With that said, they are plenty long and wide runways for SELs.

I flew my second ever PPL xcountry to that airport. Nothing abnormal or strange about that airport; except for the great restaurant and playground for children.

It has to be a record, a Cirrus accident without a chute joke in a few hours....

Just slightly... 1.1 degree on the North South runway - half that on the east west runway. No big deal, not that noticeable but enough to pay attention to in some situations. The rising terrain to the north can add some visual miscues for the inexperienced.

With that said, they are plenty long and wide runways for SELs.

weird thing for me is I never even knew GMU was sloped at all, but Hickory (KHKY RWY 24) shows .8 and that thing looks like a ski slope to me.

Every landing is a downhill landing at my home 'drome, it's a giant V.

Collegedale-Airport.jpg

collegedale-tennessee-usa-13th-february-2014-snow-plows-clear-the-dtb476.jpg

Common enough that the airport director apparently is qualified to chalk it up to pilot error.
Well, if you say that every accident is "pilot error", and every killing of a woman "the S/O did it", you'll be right so much more than you'll be wrong.

Heard the discussion now between city officials is adding emergency services on sight due to the frequency of accidents.

Could have been a tire blow out.

Found this on the COPA board:

Okay, I have more information on GMU. Supposedly the thought is that when the guy landed, he blew his left tire. According to the pilot he exited the runway, had to dodge a lawn mower, and decided to add go around power and try to fly out of it. That’s why he still had so much energy that far out when he smacked that wind sock.

Personally, I’d rather see the FAA increase its oversight of shady Florida charter operators than give the airport any grief.

These accidents aren’t the GMU airport’s fault.

These accidents aren’t the GMU airport’s fault.

No, they are not the airports fault.

But the airport manager might be trying to use these accidents to convince someone that better crash and rescue is needed on the field.

And the "Out of Business" sign on the restaurant will follow shortly *sigh*
Afraid you’re right.

Not sure of the reason for the sudden string of accidents, other than just coincidental mishaps. There’s nothing unusual or challenging about landing at GMU that I can remember.

And the "Out of Business" sign on the restaurant will follow shortly *sigh*

Sadly my next thought as well....

Afraid you’re right.

Not sure of the reason for the sudden string of accidents, other than just coincidental mishaps. There’s nothing unusual or challenging about landing at GMU that I can remember.

No, there really isn't. I really like GMU, I don't see any issues there. But I'm sure some politicians will come along to stand up and do something just because....they want to look like they are doing something. Whether it is helpful or not

Sadly my next thought as well....

No, there really isn't. I really like GMU, I don't see any issues there. But I'm sure some politicians will come along to stand up and do something just because....they want to look like they are doing something. Whether it is helpful or not

Aka “never let a good tragedy (aka free PR) go to waste...”
the speed at which cockroaches....oops, politicians...take advantage of other people’s grief is rivaled only by bottom-feeding attorneys.

Back