Another Comm ASEL-IR among us

121Dispatch

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FltPlanner
After several weeks of on and off studying/flying, and a few long days of non-stop studying, the Commercial checkride is successfully complete. I'm exhausted, but promise to come back in a day or two to fill in all the details.

I'm off to bed:yes:

Great!

Now reward yourself with some flying just for the fun of it.

Congratulations! :cheerswine:

I never did do a write-up. I filled in enough details during the time it took between completing the oral and the two weeks later waiting for a flyable airplane!

After several weeks of on and off studying/flying, and a few long days of non-stop studying, the Commercial checkride is successfully complete. I'm exhausted, but promise to come back in a day or two to fill in all the details.

Congrats!

Congrats ! Welcome to the club. I'm looking forward to the write-up. My favorite is still the Power-off 180, next is Chandelles. :yes:

Sorry for the delay...here goes the write-up.

The ride started out fairly standard...went over my logbook, checked the airplane logbooks, and got the "let me know if you don't understand a question" type formalities out of the way.
The oral was about an hour and half long...very straightforward. Types of questions included what can you do with this certificate? If I approach you with a package and ask if you will fly it to XYZ, are you legal to do that? Can you charge for sightseeing flights on your own? What are the required operative items aboard the aircraft for day VFR/night VFR? Can we do the checkride today if we learn the ELT has just failed? If so, how? Is a weather briefing required for the cross country I had you plan? Then we discussed several different symbols on the sectional. I was asked about airspace, and VFR cloud clearances. Let's say we are departing this Class D airport, and the visibility is 2sm, can we still depart without an IFR clearance? What is the segmented magenta line near XYZ class D signify?
Overall, it was a very straightforward oral...I'm trying to remember if there were any really tricky questions, but I don't recall anything that stuck out. - He was satisfied with my oral, and told me I was very well prepared. It helps that I teach 121 regs, weather, flight planning, etc at the local "regional" airline.

On to the flying...I did a quick, yet detailed pre-flight. As the DPE was getting in the aircraft, I gave him a briefing which included seat belt use, door/window operation, expectations in specified emergency procedures, and asked if he had any questions. I fired up the Cutlass and started taxiing to the runway (in retrospect, I'm not certain I did a brake check, which is something I do without even thinking about on every flight...perhaps I did, but I'm not sure). On taxi out, he requested a soft-field takeoff, then on-course for the planned X-country. Since I have an IR, my course was plotted over VORs and v-routes. No problems staying on course. After the first checkpoint, he was satisfied, and we got right into manuevers. We started with the Steep Spirals...weather was about BKN045 so I had to find a good sized hole, and maintain VFR. I got through this okay, so we moved on to Chandelles. First one was tolerable, second left something to be desired, and the third was better than the first, but not perfect. Important part was that we moved on to Lazy 8's...Phew...These were somewhat less than perfect as well, but again, within tolerances. I'm not sure I would have accepted the performance, but I didn't want to tell him how horrible I thought they were since he told me to move on to steep turns. These were no problem at all...I was right at 50* and within 25' througout. A bit of slow flight, level power off and power on stalls...no problems here either...although I recovered right at the buffet for the power on, so I did another and let the stall fully develop to make him happy. I did 8's on pylons next. Before starting he asked how I was going to enter, what my first pylon was, and the pivotal altitude. Got through those with no problem, then he pointed me back to the airport for some pattern work. We started with a soft-field landing to a stop followed by a short field takeoff. Next was the short field landing...on downwind he asked my target...I replied, I'm putting it right on the numbers. Winds were about 10* off the centerline, so it was pretty easy...I picked up a slight gust on short final, but managed to stick it on the numbers. I received a surprised look, followed by, wow, you actually did get it down on the numbers. The next time around was the power off 180...I had lots of practice for this and was able to nail it every time...this time was not quite nailed, but good enough. The wind gust caught me again, and I started to float just at the beginning of the thousand footers. I was able to get the gear on the gound before the end of the markers, but it was not pretty. Around the pattern one more time, this time to a normal landing. This was the best landing of the day...the tires gently kissesd the pavement with the slightest bump confirming that we were back on the ground. I received a nice complement on that last landing, followed by "take us back to the ramp." As he was getting out, he asked how I did...I replied there were certainly some items to debrief, 'yep, but you passed, congratulations.'

I look back at my errors, and find them to be silly things that I just hadn't completely ironed out during practice. I'll continue to practice, until I am as comfortable as I should have been during the ride...now I need to start learning how to teach from the right seat so my wife doesn't make me start mowing lawns to pay for my habit!

Back